Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New old violin... maker help requested

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: New old violin... maker help requested Reply with quote

I recently upgraded to a new-to-me instrument, but the dealer (and I) couldn't find any information about the maker. The label says that it was completed in 1953 by Herbert Schmidt (somewhere in Germany). Anyone here know anything about Herr Schmidt?
BillD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took it to my local luthier to have some minor work done. He said (at first) it looked like a nice German "trade" instrument. Then he kept looking... and looking... and looking...

And he asked me "what did you pay for this?" I told him $550.00. He said "you got a screaming deal. He pointed out that not only did Herr Schmidt have his name on the label, he also signed it, and styled himself as "Geigenbaumeister" (or Master violin maker"). His name was also heat stamped into the wood about 1 cm above the label (where I didn't see it). Then he mentioned the "seal" (a box with a star with his initials inside of it, topped by an eagle" which was definitely NOT a trade instrument. Upon examination of the scroll, he noticed a "H" and an "S" on the volute, and pointed out that the carving on the scroll was much nicer than you would find on an typical trade instrument. Then he commented on the overall fineness and elegance of line, and how well the entire instrument's construction was executed. Final opinion... it is a high quality, handmade professional violin and I should have it formally appraised and insured... (he felt that it was at least a $2000 to $3000 instrument)

Anybody got some smelling salts???
samhou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May we have some pictures or a video of this "screaming deal"?
BillD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough... here's three pics, front, back and side of scroll.

samhou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May we have a sound sample please? Where did you buy it?
BillD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have recording capability now, so I can't record a sound byte. I purchased it from a local music store that sells "fiddles" and not "violins".
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Great Buy Reply with quote

Gorgeous violin no matter who made it, nice wood. Thanks for sharing your story. So many times I read about the bad more often than the good deals.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jack H.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good deal! Beautiful instrument.
Looks to be in most excellent condion, belying its age.
I am a dealer and I would have paid $550 for it...

Enjoy adn take very good care of it. Take it to a GOOD violin shop and get an insurance appraisal. would not be surprised to get a 4-$5000 evaluation, depending on the actual authenticity of course.But it appears to be legit as far as pictures can show.
I would reccomend going to Clarion or Lark for insurance. It is generally a lot cheaper than the first repair! Plus if something does happen and you are insured you can take it to a very good shop that kniows what they are doing and have the job done right the first time!

Very nice looking! Take care of it!
BillD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

I did have a local maker here in Tucson look it over after I got it. His comments (as I posted above) pretty much paralleled yours. The one thing that is not obivious from the photos, which probably is due to the lighting, is that the instrument appears to be well-played (not that that is a bad thing). The shop I purchased it from did say it had not been played for some time prior to their purchasing it, from which I guess it came from an estate sale. I have had the tailpiece and chin rest replaced on it since I took the photos (I prefer the standard wooden tailpiece, and a different chin rest design, and I did choose rosewood instead of ebony on purely aesthetic reasons. There are some scratches on the instrument, which are consistent with being played, as well as wear on the neck and edges of the plates (again consistent with being well-played). As for authenticity, I suspect it is authentic, since no faker would fake up a label of an unknown (at least as far as I can find) builder...
Jack H.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect that it is authentic also. It looks like a very nice violin. If you ever want your money back, let me know! I would be most happy to oblige.
8~J

Enjoy the great find!

J
BillD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to wait in line... the other violinist in our little group has the "hots" for it as well Surprised

What I'm really trying to find out is exactly who is/was Herbert Schmidt, Geigenbaumeister and what else did he do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: