Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with first position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShawnK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Help with first position. Reply with quote

Hello,
I am fairly new to playing the violin, and I have a question about the fourth finger first position. When I play the fourth finger on any of the string the note produced sounds dull and not at all like the next open string. The tuner I use says that I have the correct pitch, so I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong.
mshikibu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the tuner also say that you have the correct pitch on the open strings?

Remember that every step has 200 cents. In other words, every half step (fingers close) has 100 cents, or 100 divisions of the pitch. That is a lot of fine discriminations, so it's easy to play the violin badly if you're not very careful.

Make sure the strings are in tune, first, and then when you play the 4th finger, find the spot that causes the next up, open string to resonate in sympathy.
ShawnK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same tuner for tuning all of my strings, so I do not think that my strings are out of tune.
SMaus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just the sound or the pitch that you don't like?
mshikibu is absolutely right - the open string should resonate if you hit the note perfectly in tune. But don't forget, the lower the string, the duller the tone... Smile
Or in other words, if you play a piece on the E-string it will sound completely different when you play it on the G-string or even the A-string. No matter what you do with your intonation. It's just the sound that changes. It's softer, darker, more G-string-like.
ShawnK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how different should the fourth finger sound compared to the next open string? When I play the forth finger the note sounds foreign to me, even though the pitch is spot on.
mshikibu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShawnK wrote:
So, how different should the fourth finger sound compared to the next open string? When I play the forth finger the note sounds foreign to me, even though the pitch is spot on.

I guess the best way to express it is that the pitch is the same but the timbre is different: timbre is the sound quality that distinguishes (for example) the oboe from the French horn, even though they are playing the same pitch.

The quality of the instrument is also a factor.
ShawnK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything I can do that might help?
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Playing 4th finger Reply with quote

I'm an old guy, getting arthiritis in my 4th finger, and I can no longer press as hard and cleanly as I could when I was younger, and it does impact on the sound. I have to play around my problem, because its not going away, but getting worse. But you don't want to work around this.

As you move up the fingerboard away from the nut you have two things happening....the string is higher off the fingerboard, and as you move from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th fingers, they are each incrementally weaker. The cure, is practice, and strengthening that pinkie. If instead of playing with your 4th finger, you shift up and use one of the others, does the sound become cleaner? If so, its not the string or the violin, but the weakness of the fingers.

All the best.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SMaus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Train your finger strength. Here I wrote something about increasing the speed, but it's also good to train your strength. The article is in German, but the notes speak for themselves.
mshikibu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShawnK wrote:
Is there anything I can do that might help?

One thing you might do is to go to a good luthier shop and play other violins; see if it happens on other instruments. I wonder if your instrument has a weakness there? There's something you can buy which helps sometimes. See:

Super-Sensitive Wolf-Be-Gone
http://tinyurl.com/5wfdj6
SMaus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be if it happens on one or even two strings. But Shawn writes it occurs on any string. Sounds strange to me. Probably Dave is right, it's related to the finger weakness.
@Shawn
Have you checked your hand position? I mean, is it possible for you to simply drop your fourth finger to hit the string? Or have you "opened" your hand so much that you have to stretch your fourth finger excessively to reach the fingerboard?
ShawnK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, my finger strength seems to be the problem. I also noticed that the sound was much better when I played using only the very tips of my fingers, but I am not sure if this is the correct way to play?
SMaus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically - yes. Sometimes it is a bit difficult to perform this with the fourth finger because it's so short compared to the others. Therefore the fourth isn't bent so much.
But you should at least try to press the string with the tips, especially when you play faster parts. They sound much more precise that way.
ShawnK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone’s help, I really appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: