Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Claude Pierray

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert5639

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Claude Pierray Reply with quote

New member here --- looks like this is a good forum. I have been researching on the internet for my brother whom does not have a computer. He is looking for information on a Claude Pierray violin. The information he is looking for is some kind of a figure of what it might be worth. I thought this might be a good place to start. The label is difficult to read but it looks like; 1st line – CLAUDE PIERRAY, 2nd line – proche la Comedie, 3rd line - A PARIS 17?3 (3rd digit not legible in year). It has had some minor restoration as the top was coming loose. I have 8 photos of it at this site http://picasaweb.google.com/bob5639/ViolinPicS . If any one could help us with any information as to someone that could professionally appraise it, it would be greatly appreciated.
M.Lange

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

I'm not an expert. But to me it doesn't look very old. It shows nearly no wear on the edges and so on.
There are some other strange things. For example the bridge seems to stand wrong. It should be turned around. The bridge itself looks a bit strange too. Where did you get it?
Also what happened to the varnish on the upper bouts ribs?

Matthias
Jack H.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the neck assembly it looks like an old Mittenwald instrument.
The label is not original to the instrument. The exterior frame construction, from what I can tell about the corners and the miters backs up the German heritage statement.
From the rest of the pictures it looks like it was revarnished recently.
The fittings are rosewood, cheaper than ebony.

Not sure of a wholesale value, but retail you might pay $600 or more from a shop with a case and bow in an urban shop, hard to say though, maybe less in some non urban areas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Classifieds All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: