Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new violin! With Pics!! Evaluate Please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samhou

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: My new violin! With Pics!! Evaluate Please! Reply with quote

I will be receiving a violin from China in about a month. The violin will cost about 515 US dollars. I have been playing the violin for four years now. I've asked the luthier to send me some pictures of the violin, evaluate it please:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/HurryUp_2006/DSC02033.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/HurryUp_2006/DSC02035.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/HurryUp_2006/DSC02029.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/HurryUp_2006/DSC02032.jpg

Thanks!
Gantafistor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice... the varnish seems pretty well applied and all seems pretty well too but now it will only depend of how it will sound:P

It's sure that the best you had to do its testing it before buying because there's somes risks that you will not appreciate it... So plz keep us in the current.

P.S.: normaly the chinese violins are very good quality even in low price but you must be prepare for bad surprises.

Well good luck.

Ganta
samhou

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the violin is supposed to retail $3000 in the US. I have not tested it yet, but I have connections to the owner of the violin plant so I assume its a very good violin, better than the eBay ones. The violin was chosen out of many by the luthier/owner personally.
jethro

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: hand picked= Reply with quote

I predict it will sound horrible so you should plan to send it to me when you throw it away ! Smile

Really -it is very beautiful- and may sound better than it looks !
Can you tell us what brand it would be sold as in USA ?
So if it is really good we can look for one here ! ( if we know what brand
to seek out)
Hope the plant hasn't been earthquaked !

Let us know !

Tim
samhou

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: hand picked= Reply with quote

jethro wrote:
I predict it will sound horrible so you should plan to send it to me when you throw it away ! Smile

Really -it is very beautiful- and may sound better than it looks !
Can you tell us what brand it would be sold as in USA ?
So if it is really good we can look for one here ! ( if we know what brand
to seek out)
Hope the plant hasn't been earthquaked !

Let us know !

Tim

No, the plant is in Beijing. I have no idea really about the brand - you mean the label inside the f-holes? I think it will be a nice violin too, but I doubt it will sell for $515 in the US. The thing is with US retailers selling Chinese violins is that they just take the Chinese cost number in put a dollar label on it. For example, the violin I'm getting will cost 3600 RMB, in the US they would sell it as $3600. I know because I asked a local Chinese luthier once. But anyways, if the violin is really good, I'll release a video on youtube.
jethro

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: $ Reply with quote

Yes unfortunately that is the evil called excess profits ( ! ) (exon-moble)
I AM a libertarian but it bugs me when I see american businesss move their production from america to china which may cut their cost by 1/10
but then they never lower their cost to the consumer- in addition they often end up with a poorer made product where quality control is impossible to maintain or verify. There are some excelent chinese instruments no doubt - but I think for most chinese products there is no high end quality. If not for one single companny in america we could not get a quality wood plane here. ( hang in there Lie-Nielsen- Rah-Rah )
Ok- Im stepping down off the soapbox now !

T
PS looking foreword to the video !
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Review new violin Reply with quote

I'd say from the uniform wear around the edges, and wear points in places that don't seem appropriate, its a new violin made to look old. (Perhaps we all know this anyway). You might get lucky, but be prepared to spend more for decent strings, and you'll also might need to have a luthier do some fine tuning of the soundpost position and bridge work. In China, wood and labor is cheap, but fine strings, like Obligatos costing $60-75 per set in US, is more expensive than the cost of building the violin, so I would expect a poor sound on arrival, but that may not mean its impossible to make it sound good. Just be prepared.

I wouldn't trust any label they put in it unless it indicates its built in China. You can buy labels by the sheet, chose any of 50, for about $10.

I hope there's a money back warranty regardless of the reason.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
musicallychallenged

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh its lovely! Really very gorgeous!

I hope it sounds as great as it looks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: