Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

European Larch (Larix decidua)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romanelli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: European Larch (Larix decidua) Reply with quote

European Larch (Larix decidua) is taht good for the top of violin? I have one verry old and dry pice with a wonderful texture. Is also from Pinaceaes family and one old sculptor from here, Romania, told me will be good for violin top. Have any one from you who have already use that wood?
All my repspects.
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Larch top Reply with quote

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that if the wood is properly cut (quarter sawn), fairly tight grained, and clear, it might work OK. Post some pictures of the wood. Others with more experience may have some better opinions.

www.wallindependent.com
Wolfjk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: European Larch (Larix decidua) Reply with quote

Romanelli wrote:
European Larch (Larix decidua) is taht good for the top of violin? I have one verry old and dry pice with a wonderful texture. Is also from Pinaceaes family and one old sculptor from here, Romania, told me will be good for violin top. Have any one from you who have already use that wood?
All my repspects.

Hi Romanelly,
I worked with larch. It is excellent for fencing, but I think it would be too heavy and too hard for violin tops. However if you use it for practice, you can have some fun and games cutting the purfling chanell! Smile
Cheers Wolfjk
Romanelli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: mor info need... Reply with quote

I will take tomorow some photos of that wood, before cuting and preparing. Was cut from a 150 cm diameter tree. Even here in "country of woods" is expensive, but was a gift:)
For the top i will use a verry rare "sycamore maple". I just finished now the ribs and i wait until tomorow for dry. Will be a hard work, because i dont have any small planes, and i will use only ciesels for sculpture.
My only big problem will be for purfling, not for chanel, but for purfling wood.
Can i use only one piece, not sandwich? I intend to insert cherry wood, wich is verry hard, and have a dark colour.
Romanelli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was mistake, i will use for back the sycamore maple wood
MANFIO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good having good quality woods for your first instrument, but I find that it's not all that important, mainly if you are a self taught maker, because you will make lots of mistakes in your first instrument, so that I really don't find the quality of the wood all that important in this situation.

In your situation, if I had to decide betwen nice wood (that I think I would "spoil" in my first instrument) and nice books (Courtnall & Johnson, Strad posters, etc.) I would go with the books, but I may be wrong, as usual.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Romanelli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro Manfio,
i already have and study several books. I use as master guidline the one of Henry Strobel, wich i have recived personaly from him. In area where i live they are NOT any luthier, so i am "condamned" to start alone, only with books and other media informations.
My respects!
MANFIO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! I received some wood from Simeon Chambers, a nice fellow to deal with, and his wood is quite good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: