Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edge work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Edge work Reply with quote

I spent the weekend doing edge work on my #2 which takes a bit of time and is fairly tedious work. I currently follow the Courtnal/Johnson process which calls for the rounding of the edges to be done after the plates are glued to the ribset. Is this the most common practice or would it be possible or recommended to do the rounding before the plates are attached to the rib set?

Mike S
M.Lange

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Edge work Reply with quote

Mikes wrote:
Is this the most common practice ?

Hi Mike,

I did it this way and I think it is a very common practice. The reason for this may be, that it is less likely to leave dents or scratches from the clamps.
But I think there is no disadvantage of rounding the edges on the underside of the plates before glueing it. This is the harder part anyway.

Matthias
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: