Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matching varnish colour and other nightmares

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiddling_Fhinn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Matching varnish colour and other nightmares Reply with quote

Hi all, so glad i found this forum. I'm cleaning up an old violin, so a couple of questions. i suppose i should mention first i've been doing repairs for a little while, but mostly just basic stuff, bridges, soundposts, pegs, cracks, blocks.

so i've got this fiddle which was "repaired" with white glue. Ugh. what a nightmare. I've got it mostly off, but it's still a disaster, especially on the sides. while removing the bottom bout it splintered badly at the block, so there's a piece about 2mmx 3.5mm missing. (if i could catch the guy who put the white glue on it i'd choke him)

so what should i do? should i put a whole new bout or try and put a piece in there? the neck block is also bad, i'm considering leaving it there, but..... doesn't feel right to leave it. i wish i knew how to post pics on here.... anywho the last repair had patches in the bout approx 1 inch either side of the block.
i'm thinking of replacing all the sides.... but it breaks my heart to put the violin so far from it's original condition. any thoughts??

One more question: the guy varnished it with something..... not sure exactly what. furniture varnish i think. then it was put back into the case before it had hardened, and so fibres of the lining stuck to the varnish. using pumice i got the fibres out but it's badly pitted. Any suggestions??

and if i patch it, how do you suggest matching the colour? i have dyes and clear varnish which i've always used, but it's so hard to get the perfect match, any tips?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need to see pics... here is a previous post on posting pics...
http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=467&highlight=post+picture
Cheers, Mat
Fiddling_Fhinn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok hopefully this works. oh the third image you can kind of see how the varnish is really crap
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is a disaster... what is the quality of the original violin?
If it was a decent violin, visit a Good luthier for some general guidance as there is so much that can't be seen from the pictures.
Generally, if you are going to spend the time to do it, do it right.. and that means assume it is going to be a very valuable instrument....research every bit of repair for correct procedure and get every step and dimension as perfect as possible. Generally, don't replace or refinish but rather repair and restore. In the end you may have a very good violin and one that you will have learned a great deal from and will be proud of.
From what I can tell...you likely will need to dissassemble the neck as well as it is unlikely that it is correctly set. Undo all all joints with white glue... get just down to clean wood so that fresh hot hide glue can take hold. check all dimensions and reassemble slowly and carefully as if you are building a new instrument. Personally I would not strip and refinish no matter how bad... you can clean up the old varnish as best you can with 0000 oilfree steel wool, then touch up and french polish to suit.
I would try get my hands on a copy of "Violin Restoration" by Weisshaar and Shipman.. It will give you the basics to let you make music!
Good luck!... Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: