Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bounce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verdi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Bounce Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new. Why am I bouncing? My bow arm is very relaxed. When I use the whole bow it bounces. I don't have the bow too tight either...any suggestions? Thank you.
Becky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may sound weird, but sometimes your bow bounce because you are not pushing UP with your thumb enough...as I said, it sounds weird and like it's not the right solution, but sometimes it helps. Try pushing up with your (bowing) thumb and your other fingers may compensate and acheive the right pressure to keep the bow on the strings.

Another thing that may help is to understand the difference between playing ON the string vs. playing IN the string...does that make sense? Playing on the string is more like you're gliding over the top (light pressure, which could lead to bouncing). Playing into the string is what it sounds like...not in the press hard into the string and get a wretched scratching sound, but press into the string (and you may need to change the speed to get a good sound), really play into it and get a full smooth sound. Pick the farthest ceiling corner in the room you're in and try to make your sound reach all the way there with the same full sound you hear under your ear. The pressure needed to do that could be enough to keep the bow from bouncing.

Does the bow bounce all the time, or only in certain spots (like the frog)? Are you using a full bow or partial bow? Are there any times it doesn't bounce?
Verdi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Becky, thank you so much, that advice was awesome. It only bounces in the middle of using whole bow.

Your advice sounds like it will work, I will try it tonight. Thank you!
Becky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did it work?
It sounds like you can play in the middle of the bow using a partial bow and it doesn't bounce, is that right? What would happen if you play using just the middle and work on gradually increasing to a full bow (only increase after successfully not bouncing with the current bow amount)?
Verdi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Becky, the thumb thing worked! Unbelievable, I am so excited. It's like a little magic trick. I pushed up with my thumb and most of the bounce went away. And I love the visual about playing into the string. You're awesome! Thanks.
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky, It helped with my bounce too. I just have a little bounce every
once and a while, especially after drinking a lot of coffee, I just think
about pressing the thumb up a little, and it does the trick.
Shirley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky, by gum - while playing some short "solo" parts today, my durn bow bounced. I was surprised, and I don't want it to happen again, and since I'm on my way to practice right now, I'm going to give your thumb trick a try, and try to rmember it the next time I guess I get a bit nervous. It sure worked for Verdi and Jack. Thank you for the suggestion! Shirley
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad the thumb trick is helping you all! ...although Jack, less caffeine would probably do more to lessen the bounce Smile
Shirley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky - I'm back again to report, and the thumb trick works like a charm. My teacher, though hard for her to create the boundcing bow effect, finally did and concurred - she guessed that what she did to control it was, indeed, to press a bit harder with her thumb. It is difficult for long-time players to dissect just what they are doing, and so I thank you, and have told all my bouncing-bow friends your "trick."

But then, what less could one expect from a UNICYCLE rider, of all things???

Thanks again! Shirley
Barry1963

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While reading through old posts (Im a newbie, trying to catch up Laughing ) I found this tip. Thank you Becky for fixing my bounce as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: