Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about August Rao Bow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaina Toadpipe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Question about August Rao Bow Reply with quote

Hello, a bow by August Rao has come into our shop for a rehair and I was hoping that someone might help me with a couple of questions I have about it. First, the Mother of Pearl veneer has come apart from the frog slide. Not from excess pressure but simply old glue. With newer bows we use a super-glue for this, but with this older bow, what would be the best adhesive to use to re-apply the MOP to the ebony?
Second, after a long search online I cannot find any biographical information about Rao, other than when he was born and died. I would be much interested in finding out any other information about him. Thank you!
Jack H.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clean the surface and use cyanoacrilate glue. it will be fine.
Many old bows were glued with fish glue IIRC.
As for the biographical information..I will have to check a few books. will get back to the thread if I find any relevant information.
Alaina Toadpipe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so very much. I have successfully re-applied the Mother of Pearl to the slide, The frog is quite lovely, brass trimmings, still wonderfully working and easy to slide. After I finished the rehair I noticed an unfortunate arc in the bow when under tension. Personally I'm not up to that task yet, so we've refered the owner to a nearby bow maker to fix that. I look forward to finding out more about Rao though, so thank you for taking the time Jack Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: