Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loss of tightess

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Loss of tightess Reply with quote

I'm experiencing a general lack of tightness in my bowhair, could it be humidity or lack thereof? Its a fairly new (2 yrs) carbon-fiber bow, original mongolian hair. I've read threads about tightening a couple hairs, but is there something I can do to get just a couple more turns, its nearly slack. In interim, I've folded up a bit of paper and pushed it under the strands at the tip, helps but needs more than that.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jack H.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you re-haired it in the last 2 yeas??
if not, that will certainly help.
Hair expands and contracts in humidity and in dry weather.
If it is a new re-hair and it is acting up it could be the humidity, unless it has been dry.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: lack of tightness Reply with quote

The bow is about 2-3 years old, perhaps time for rehair. Its been both dry and wet back and forth past few weeks. I've tried dampening and then drying, nothing is working enough to pull it up. I guess its time to pull the tip and maybe snug it a bit.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Loss of tightness Reply with quote

Well, too slack to use now, been humid past few days.

So I pulled the plug at the tip, wound thread tightly around hair another 4-5mm, then wrapped with a thin copper wire, tied it off, dipped in hot hyde glue, wrapped some more thread, dipped it again and let set. Cut off the old "knot" and put all back together. Much better, but have half dozen still kinda slack hairs which I'm going to ignore for now. At least this keeps me playing a few more weeks till I get a spare bow received. Then I'll attempt rehair with fresh.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jack H.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hairs stretch during use Dave, that no amount of water will shrink.
After 2-3 years, it IS time for a re-hair.
That is the only way to get the tension back into the hair.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, you can shrink the loose hairs easily.... turn a household iron to the highest setting, place it upside down in a holder of sorts. Tighten the frog on the bow til the first hairs are just getting tight. Lower the slack hanging hairs slowly to just touch the hot iron and they will pop right up. If you work the hair over the iron many times, you would be surprised how much the entire hank of hair will shrink.
Warning.... don't get rosin on your wife's good iron... or you may be out of the bow repair business!!
Good luck, Mat
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Tightening hairs Reply with quote

Great idea using the iron, thanks. Got a new spare bow, and more horsehair in the mail, so I may try this. I'd say I've got about 10 hairs that do not tighten at all, might be good time to experiment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: