Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fine tuners - only for beginners?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Fine tuners - only for beginners? Reply with quote

Hello,
I am new to this forum and violin. I play the classical guitar as a hobby. I have started learning violin a couple months ago for fun. I have lots of questions but will start with one.

I wonder whether the fine tuners have any negative effect on the sound. I see most beginner's violins are equipped with fine tuners on all strings. But many advanced players have only one for the E string on their violin.
So I wonder.
I found it is very hard to get a perfect pitch on A-D-G strings without fine tuners. Not like guitar, a tiny amount of peg move would cause over 10 cents of pitch which is readily audible.

How easy it is for advanced players to get all string tuned in pitch within 5 cents without using fine tuners on A-D-G strings?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited by dinga on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Barry1963

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen cheap violins that sound worse when the tuners are removed, but for the most part, having just the E tuner helps in tone. If you find it hard to tune with pegs alone, take it to your local violin shop and have the pegs fitted and have them do a set up (sound post adjustment,bridge placement).

Use quality strings, those $12 specials squeal badly on some violins.

If you replace your own strings, make sure you take a no# 2 pencil and color in the slots on your bridge. It does wonders for tuning and helps keep the strings from dragging the bridge when tuning.

Hope that helps some.
dinga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a well set up violin would certainly help in tuning. But, in comparison to guitar, a tiny movement of a tuner in guitar would cause just +- 1 cent difference in pitch, but the peg tuner in violin would cause at least 10 cents, however tiny movement may you make. So, you have to up and down the tuner multiple times to get an exact pitch. If you are lucky you may make withing 3~4 trials.

So, back to my question, why are the fine tuners not installed on all expensive violins played by advanced players? My guess is that the fine tuners have adverse effects in sound or durability of the violin. What exactly would they be? Why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: