Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will this cheapy sound/play properly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Will this cheapy sound/play properly? Reply with quote

I have seen that some of you suggest staying away from ebay but I really wanted some feedback on this violin. It is not mine! I am not selling it!I am interested in buying it because it is cheap and since I have never played a stringed instrument I don't want to cough up $200 if I can avoid it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250341794734&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

It says it has been set up. Now I intend to take lessons so I want to know if it will play or is it just total junk that will frustrate an instructor trying to give me lessons?
kel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US$53.99 for a 4/4 violin !!!
OH !
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kel wrote:
US$53.99 for a 4/4 violin !!!
OH !

So should I buy it?
Barry1963

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe thats a Palintino , run as fast as you can from it. If your going to spend as little as possible,which I can understand, they arent giving money away. I would check craigslist for a used one locally. If you know someone that plays, take them with you.
look it over carefully for cracks in the body and around the peg box.
When you buy a violin online, youre taking a gamble, you may get a fair starting instrument, or it may be complete junk.

If you do buy one from online for $50, go buy some quality string right off. The ones that come on cheap factory violins are worthless.
Good luck in your search.
kel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my set of strings alone costs me more than 53 dollars !

as a beginner likely u don't need expensive strings

for a complete set of violin that the seller is asking 53 something
i'd bet its sound could be terrible unless there is a miracle

can u borrow one from someone? i have several at home with different grading.

Once u can confirm your interest to play violin for a long time for at least a yr , get a better one let's say $200 to $400
dinga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $53, I would go for it. Case itself would sell at over $20.
Once you get advanced and notice its poor quality you can upgrade. You can either resell it or keep it for backup or for experimenting bridge setup, string changes, peg changes, ..., or even you can try refinishing it.
You would be able to get at least $30 or even more Shocked if you resell it, so your loss would be minimum.
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to kick it around a bit more and check out craigslist, but I still may end up giving the el cheapo a try unless I stumble across a better option.
Shirley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. S - now that you have a teacher, have you asked him his thoughts? The expense of getting the $53 (plus shipping charges) fiddle ready to play (set up, strings, etc.,) will be more than renting a decent student instrument for a few months, after which Mr. Haning could advise you.

ALSO, it is possible that your teacher would be willing to lend you, or rent to you at minimal cost, a violin that he would be willing to teach you on. More than one teacher has absolutely declined to work with a student with an undesirable instrument.

As with your experiences with your new teacher, please do keep us informed about your violin decision - we give advice, but it is up to you to decide of course - and the best of luck to you in your quest!!

Shirley
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the cheapy, I let him know I want him to look it over. After looking at the sellers feedback on ebay, I found that literally thousands of people bought this violin and very few had any complaints. Most complaints were about broken hairs or shipping took forever. There were several people claiming to be instructors that gave very positive feedback on the instruments sound and quality for the price. I decided to take the risk.

If it turns out to be junk then I will rent an instrument from Jarrod or one of the music stores until my taxes come back, then I will ask his help in selecting a student violin.

After looking at the reviews though, I do believe it will work well enough to be tutored. I will update this after it arrives.
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. S ~ It does sound good! I will look forward to your further reports!

Shirley
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to stop in and update this. It arrived today, UPS really destroyed the box it was in. It was ripped, wrinkled and crushed over every square inch. I literally looked at the UPS guy and said "are you serious" to which he replied "I'm going to put it down as a retape" I walked away with my crumpled box.

The good news is the case was apparently quite sturdy and the violin was in great shape. I opened it and it looked nice, I was still unsure of the quality so I rushed over to the local music store and had them tune it. The gentleman that helped me looked it over and said it was nice. I asked if I needed to change the strings or the bridge and he said no, they looked right to him. He was certain that I could take lessons with it.

It sounds like a violin to my untrained ear but I'm going to let my instructor tell me his thoughts before I can positively give this thing a thumbs up as a starter violin. Perhaps the music store guy was just being kind. I will update after my first lesson on Friday. Wish me luck.
caeman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe the music store guy understands that not every violin is a strat. We all have to start somewhere.
Dr. Strange

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I went to my first lesson tonight. My teacher looked over my violin and he was amazed that it had real purfling and said that for $50 it was awesome. He wants me to get nylon core strings because he prefers them but he said my steel strings were good. I am ecstatic that the instrument is playable and my teacher approves of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: