Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I ready for the school orchestra?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

To join or not to join?... that is the question
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

musicallychallenged

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Am I ready for the school orchestra? Reply with quote

I have been playing for exactly a month today.

I don't know how quickly others learn. But after having four lessons (the fourth being earlier this evening), I can play the whole of twinkle twinkle without any mistakes and 4 variations. My teacher also says that the sound is really great (even when I do have a few little screwups with the placing of my fingers). I'm not so confident with reading music yet, but I'm picking up on it quicker than I thought.

There is only one orchestra at my high school (only one level). The middle school that almost everyone there went to requires everyone to take either choir or an instrument. So I'm assuming that everyone in band, orchestra, and wind ensemble have playing experience from the middle school. I moved here before my freshman year of high school (and am now going to start my sophmore year). The middle school I went to didn't require a music class.

I talked to my violin instructor today about what he thought of my joining orchestra. He said it was iffy and that I should try to bring him a sample of the music they play before I join the orchestra. But he said it would be hard, but he thought I could pull through in the end. I don't think I'll be able to bring him a sample of the music in time. I have to drop one of my classes (in order to pick up orchestra) on the very first day of school which is a monday. My first day of orchestra would be tuesday. That is the same day as my lesson. So I would have to join before I got to see my teacher again.

I thought I would come here for advice since you all seem to be so experienced.

Do you think I should join? Or should I wait until next year?
JTSarkis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I would wait. High school orchestra music is very challenging. With only a month of instruction, I would say wait until you've been playing for at least a year. There is a lot of technique that goes into playing, that I'm sure you wouldn't have learn in only a month's time. But keep practicing and good luck!
SMaus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait as well. Your primary concern should be "are you having fun?" If you join there now you definitely won't have much fun.
It's gonna be really hard work for you. You won't have the time to concentrate on your technique, you just would try to survive the rehearsals. And that's probably not the reason why you started to play this instrument. Be patient, stick to your teacher, practice regularly, don't forget your technique and join the orchestra next year.
That's the best you can do.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Music Reply with quote

I am a member of a small community orchestra, and from time to time we get young players that will join us during a season when we have some fairly easy music, then the next season, they're blown away, and they stop participating. Although we're happy if they're just there playing half the notes, they get discouraged.

I guess my advise is to wait until next semester, unless you're exceptionally quick learner. And, make it a point of going to one of their practices.

In the meantime, see if you can't get one of the more advanced players to get together for an hour or two on weekends, do something like Mazas easy duets. Lots of fun, good discipline too which prepares you for orchestra.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SMaus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazas duets are very good, you could also check out Pleyel duets. They sound great, are still playable for beginners and improve your skills greatly.
little lady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should definitely wait and give yourself more time with the lessons. Being on Orchestra right now would put a lot of pressure on you and might even discourage you. Take one year of lessons first.
space2000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't sugest you to go to Orchestra right now. try to practice for year first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: