Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to broaden my horizons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leftyguitarjoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Looking to broaden my horizons Reply with quote

Hey, I've been playing guitar got about 5 years now, and violin has always been kinda lingering in the back of my mind.

I am left handed, which might impact my ability to even find a violin I can use. Or could I just convert one to a lefty?

I think I might be able to pick it up quickly. I have the dexterity and coordination from guitar down. Or so I think. Will playing guitar help with violin?

I have almost no knowledge of musical theory. I cant read normal music. Is learning by ear acceptable? Or do I absolutely have to learn to read music?

And answers would be greatly appreciated.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are endless rituals, "rules", ceremonies, etc. associated with playing the violin but the bottom line is to play what you want to hear. Reading music is sure handy.

I have always speculated that a guitar player would have an advantage simply having a disciplined left hand.

Violins may not be reversible but I'm not expert enough to be sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: