Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first bowing of a string

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caeman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: My first bowing of a string Reply with quote

A friend was over at my house, jamming out some celtic folk tunes. Near the end, she asked, "Okay, you ready to try the violin now?"

It was cool. I was also scared half to death of hurting it. She paid $1800 for it several years ago. Shocked

My first bowing of the high string was predictable...it sounded like a cat trying to scratch its eyes out. We both laughed. After a few tries, I was able to get a clean note on each open string. I tried to finger a few notes, but my fingers were not up to the task. That position isn't very natural for my hand, yet. Smile

6 months until August. And then I shall have one for my own.
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caeman - good for you - you got a taste of what the rest of us have gone through! August will come, and then you can really go at it. Maybe until then you can have more experiences of using a bow. Don't be scare off!

Thanks for sharing! Shirley
kel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be shy
remember after some hard work, u are going to play some lovely tune or some simple piece that u love

hard work definitely would pay off after a while
caeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what scared me the most was the thought of $1800 in my hands. I didn't want to break it.

I snuck off to the music store this past weekend to pick up another harmonica, check out new drum sets...and sneak into the violin room. Sam Ash has the violin in their own room with a closed door and thick glass. I presume this to be for the protection of everyone's ears. They just happen to have a bow sitting there and a 4/4 violin all tuned up. Convenient!

My 3-yr son did not quite appreciate my attempts at bowing on the open strings. I have read through the first section of the Suzuki Violin Method 1 book, so I had an idea for proper arm position.

It was fun.
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Learn to oplay Reply with quote

Hi Google up U tube search learn to play (fiddle -Violin)
There is a lot of help there on short vidios
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmz6-Jzpu5E
Good luck Let us know how you make out
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: