Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Lesson!! =)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovetheviolin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: First Lesson!! =) Reply with quote

I had my first lesson today and it went really well. My instructor is a super nice guy and I feel is genuinely interested in my progress, so that's good. My bow grip feels a little uncomfortable and we didn't really talk much about it though I did ask him a lot of questions because from all my reading and such, I know how important it is; however, he said it looked good, so I'm going with it (my hand is a little sore though, but I've just been practicing for a while). We practiced playing all the strings with a full bow stroke and breaking up the bow into 4 sections. I'm not really making any scratching sounds except at the part closest to the frog, so if you know why that is please let me know. Then i've been going through Twinkle Twinkle and it's sounding good, but still scratchy at some points, but it seems that when I fret a string it gets scratchy and then I somehow adjust. ...? I dunno. But ya, I got some exercising I'll be practicing for the week and ya, that's it. I'm super excited! Thanks for all your input and help thus far!! =)
mshikibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be playing the Twinkle variations in the middle of the bow.

I'm not sure what you mean by when you "fret a string." There are no frets on violin, and that's not a violin-y thing to say...

Wink
DynamicMoves

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.scasd.org/2497_1251020151756/lib/2497_1251020151756/vln_vla_bowhold.jpg

Though, it is different for everybody.
I tend to hold the bow with pointer, middle, and thumb, while the other two are just floating around, for the most part. Spiccato is different though...
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what lovetheviolin means by fretting a string, is when he presses
it down on the finger board. Yes, you will get some strange, scratchy, sounds
when you first try to make notes with your fingers, but keep at it, it will begin to sound better. There are several ways to hold the bow correctly. get
your teacher to show you these, and select the one that is most comfortable,
and gives you the best sound. Then, Practice, Practice, Practice.!!!
Good Luck.
lovetheviolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your replies, and yes, i most definitely meant pressing down the string. Thanks for all you encouragement, it helps having friendly people to ask questions to or to just seek encouragement from, especially in the beginning. Thanks again!
LSOviolinist

Location: Los Angeles, California/Boston, Massachusetts/New York, New York

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to your comment about having that scratchy sound near the frog, I can think of two reasons. The first is that you're probably not used to playing that far down the bow. I've been playing for some time and still find it difficult to stay clean and smooth at the frog. The second possibility is that your bowing hand might be in the wrong position. When you're playing that close to the frog your wrist comes up as if it were being pulled by a rope. Resist the urge to let that happen. A great way to practice the correct bowing is this simple task. Imagine that your holding a giant beachball in front of you. From this position, turn your right hand counterclockwise while keeping your arm at the same position, and then turn your left hand counterclockwise towards the ceiling. If you did everything correctly you should have both the ideal bowing hand and fingering hand. I hope this makes sense and I wish you the best of luck. Very Happy
mecqna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: First Lesson!! =) Reply with quote

lovetheviolin wrote:
I had my first lesson today and it went really well. =)

Hi, good to know that your first lesson went well with your teacher. My 4yr old daughter had hers 3mths ago, and it went superbly well too. Soo superb she does'nt have to do anything during her first lesson. How to? There was'nt any rosin on the bow to begin with. And the teacher went on with stuffs like getting to know about the instrument for the whole first lesson. By her 3rd lesson, we received a letter from the school that the teacher had been dismissed for not doing a good job. Since after, my daughter has been blessed with a terrific replacement and has been doing more than great. Every single week she comes home with new terrific technics and tips from her dedicated teacher, of which sadly, they all evolved into another problems for us to cope up with. But it's a pleasure having great teacher. My daughter does'nt like the metronome very much. I would be strict with it tho' and ensure that she plays by them as & when it's necessary. Very strict! And realize, I could'nt quite do what I would ask her to do myself. hehee*...Bad daddy!.. Anyway, she's the vilionist to be, I'm just the Ferguson trying to make a Ronaldo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: