Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner violin practice...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovetheviolin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Beginner violin practice... Reply with quote

hey everyone: so i was supposed to have my first lesson last thursday...but my teacher never showed lol that's okay, I'm new to his schedule. Anyway, I'm too excited to wait to see what the lesson will entail besides tuning and instrument info. What will/should I learn in my first lesson? This was kind of pointless maybe, but I'm really excited! =)
Shirley

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there again, Love! How frustrating! To wait all this time, and to look forward to your first lesson so excitedly, and then to have the teacher not show! You are more laid back than I would be!

What you may learn at your first lesson is 1) Bow hold, 2)violin hold with proper posture and your teacher determining just what chin rest-shoulder rest combination would work for you, 3) Maybe how to pull the bow across the strings and/or how to pizzicato the open strings or a fingered note. Perhaps be given a tune to practice!

But, there is always the caveat: best not to try these yourself, especially if you are expecting to have a teacher soon. Bad habits are sooo hard to break.

Good to hear from you again, and if you keep that "cool," you are sure to do well. Hope the teach shows up next time - maybe s/he could give you a make-up session? That would be proper.

Good luck! Keep us informed! Shirley
lovetheviolin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear from you again shirely! ya, he's going to make it up by giving me an hour lesson instead of a half hour lesson. I have my violin and don't know what to do with it! It's harder than ever now1 =) anyway, thanks for the reply. I was just curious to know what types of things I could look into. I couldn't figure out how to hold it comfortably by myself, so I've put it away for now; i've also read a lot about developing bad habits, and that's the LAST thing I need, so anyway. Thanks again, I'll keep y'all in the loop! Thanks for the support
mshikibu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if your teacher will use these, but here are some of the techniques used for beginning violin students:

What are some of the techniques teachers use to approach beginning students?
http://beststudentviolins.com/PedagogyTech.html#21
mecqna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley wrote:
Bad habits are sooo hard to break.

Soo true!
I am basically trying to see my 4yr old daughter thru with her violin and help with her practices. Notice one thing tho'. She's always missing her notes half the time. If I force her to slow down in slow motion, she would hit them fine, otherwise, you'd see little drunkard tentacles all over the fingerboard. But she is expected to catch up with the tempos during classes. So speed over accuracy, what do I do to straighten things out here?.. Notice I have not even mention anything about screeching as yet!... I made her practice everyday ( seriously ) for at least 40mins; it's been 3 mths now. I think she made my hair stands like Einstein faster than I could improve her. And then the there is the occasional crying, whining & bargaining!. Fastest way to put her to sleep is to mention violin! If it's anything to go by, her memory is fantastic & she's a very fast learner! Conclusion : I'm having a hard time with my daughter; not unless all you nice people help me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: