Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey again; lessons...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovetheviolin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Hey again; lessons... Reply with quote

So as mentioned before in a previous post, I am planning to start the violin now in about three weeks with a tutor; however, I've been reading that online lessons or a series of DVD lessons are valuable and very possibly better because you can watch the videos as many times as you want, it's a lot cheaper, you can learn at your own pace along with learning pieces that you want to learn (rather than what the instructor wants you to learn). I was wondering if, as an ABSOLUTE beginner (meaning I've never picked up a violin before, though I have had 5 yrs guitar experience) if a tutor would still be best or would videos be good? Should I move to videos after a tutor shows me the ropes for a while? What are your thoughts on the matter. I honestly feel I have talent in the area of music, so I am very optomistic about learning the violin though I still respect it's difficulty. I just don't want to be "slowed down" by a tutor (is my main concern). Thank you all so much!!
caeman

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably learn a lot from the DVDs. But, you might want to consider one lesson with a teacher, just to make sure you have your hand position correct, etc. Things that having a second person there would be good for.

Otherwise, I have 99% used the internet to learn to play Harmonica. Same for bass guitar. I will be trying the same route when my rebec is finished. There aren't many sources for playing rebec, and I doubt any teachers in my area.
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again, LTV: Good to see you back!

The web and DVDs are indeed a marvelous way to review things you have learned from a real live teacher, and sometimes you get some nifty tips on line (I love to read and hear everything I can about playing).

However, you have to carefully screen the info you get that way. One can learn many things on one's own, and if you really don't care what you sound like, or really don't want to learn quickly and properly, then DVDs or online is OK. I don't think you would be happy with the results, being the musician you are.

Stick with your original plan of a "tutor," at least for a while. You may well decide that you really appreciate personal instruction - it is extremely difficult to see the "mistakes" you are making yourself, where a teacher can spot them immediately - it's almost uncanny! And it will save you a lot of grief.

Playing violin is hard enough, without making it more difficult and frustrating for yourself.

It is, of course, up to you - it's just SO much easier and productive, having a teacher.

I don't mean to sound as though I'm issuing dictums from on high - just from experience Smile

Good luck!! Shirley
lovetheviolin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley! Good to hear from you...
thanks for your reply, it was very helpful, satisfying,...and determining: I'm going with teacher. I was going to anyway I think, but this convinces me even more. And I don't think you're, " issuing dictums from on high", but rather just giving wise counsel from experience. Hope things are well with you, God bless...and I'm so EXCITED! for my lessons!! woo-hoo!!!!
Becky

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovetheviolin, glad to hear you're sticking with a teacher. You made a wise choice. Shirley was absolutely correct in her reply.
lovetheviolin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks becky. it was good to hear it from someone else rather than just reading stuff; and though i've never met any of you, i trust your wisdom =) I'll let you know in a few weeks how the first one went. Take care!!!
mshikibu

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> I've been reading that online lessons or a series of DVD lessons are valuable and very possibly better because you can watch the videos as many times as you want, it's a lot cheaper, you can learn at your own pace along with learning pieces that you want to learn (rather than what the instructor wants you to learn).

I don't know where you read this but it is not, in my experience, accurate. IMO, there is no substitute for individual, private instruction. Cheaper? I don't think it's even cheaper, in the long run; you will have to discover this on your own, but if you were to take the advice of experienced teachers (pretty much all of them), you will find a private teacher.
Shirley

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caeman - by the way, are you yourself making a rebec, or perhaps having one made? Amazing!

And why would you think that it might be difficult finding a teacher in your area? Laughing

I sure would like to hear more about this - as well as finding instruction on line - is there any? Or a DVD? I wouldn't think such a DVD would be a really big seller!

Please keep us informed? And good luck!

Shirley
caeman

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rebec is being made for me. See the maker's part of the forum for pictures.

From the research I have done on the rebec, it was played in one of two methods: the butt held to chest, or vertically in your lap (like playing a cello). It only has 3 strings, tuned to DAE, so violin music is available for me, but I just won't have the low of a modern violin.

It seems to me a major part of a live violin teacher is getting hand position, bow position and such correct, so you can produce good sound. Given that the Rebec uses such a different position, I am curious as to how a modern violin teacher could adept to helping me.
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am curious as to how a modern violin teacher could adept to helping me."

Boy, Caeman, I'm curious, too! Are their other - perhaps eastern - instruments that are played on the knee? How do fiddle players do it, who hold the lower bout against their chests? Curiouser and curioser!

(I agree with you about the direction a teacher can give a beginner, and I find that advice on actually making music is invaluable - little hints that I doubt I could get from a DVD - but they might be available!)

I sure hope you come back to this part of the forum, and tell us how you like your rebec, and how the heck you play it!

Good luck with your project!!

Shirley
mecqna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley wrote:
And it will save you a lot of grief.

I know what grief is.

Agree. Unless you're genius or supergifted, don't think anything can ever substitute a teacher, a dedicated one that is.

Let's put it this way. I've been stealing lessons from my daughter's teacher ( secretly, tho' I'm in the class openly ). It's been more than 3 mths plus now. Thot I know much. Back home, armed also with my online knowledges, I would try to get my daughter to do this & that upon hope that I could help both teacher & student speed up matters. I realize, on average, I would have to pop my eyes out, have smokes coming out from my ears & transform myself into ludicrous Hulk to get my daughter to understand & do little peanuts compares to her teacher getting tremendous results and more from her with ease & grace. I surrender! Teacher rules!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: