Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tuning your Violin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
violinguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Tuning your Violin? Reply with quote

Do any of you use a chromatic tuner to tune your violin and if so, how does it work for you, and if not, what do you use? Thanks.

vg
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a clamp-on tuner by " Intellitouch ". You can clamp it on the scroll,
or lay it flat on the top. With my tin ear, I need a good tuner. I have found
that you get more accurate results quicker, if you pluck the strings in a
straight up motion, rather than across them. Or, you can use your bow.
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started playing the violin I used a chromatic tuner to tune. My ear has gotten a lot better and now I find it easier and more accurate to tune by ear. Sometimes I'll tune my A to a piano, but I prefer tuning the A to the tuner (or just tuning it by ear and checking it with the tuner) and then tune my other strings to the A (playing D and A together to tune the D, then D and G to tune the G, then A and E to tune the E). When you get used to how they sound when they are in tune, it's easier to tune without the aid of the tuner. Chromatic tuners work well (especially if you have nothing to tune to, or if your ear needs more developing), but if you use one, make sure you're still working on developing your ear and don't rely on the tuner.
The chromatic tuners are nice because they'll tell you whether you are too sharp or too flat.
I don't know if this is chance or if it's true for everyone, but I've noticed that the more advanced musicians tend to use tuning forks (which I also like, I just haven't felt like buying one).
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am determined to train my ears properly, and so now I am adamant about keeping my strings in tune as best as I can, and I keep checking them still at this point with a chromatic tuner. I also have a clip-on tuner coming my way. This is also chromatic, and I hope it works just as good.
Anyway, I hurt myself as a teenager many years ago when I was learning a guitar on a very cheap guitar that refused to stay in tune. I did not realize the harm that I did to myself. I learned songs and thought they were fine (gradually) because I was off to a very poor start. I really confused my ears, and I know it.
But today things have dramatically improved, but I did confuse my ears years ago.
Some months ago, I suddenly heard it, and I could hear a certain brightness when I played each note; it was so exciting, as I knew that I was playing the songs correctly.
I will continue to tune with tuners for a long time, I know, as I know it is helping me. My goal is to train my ears...perfectly. I want that so very much.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that "brightness" DOES have to do with accurate tuning and is something I rarely achieve using either of my two electronic tuners or the pitch pipe. I have to continuously tweak with the fine tuners.

In addition, I tune while having a tourte mute in place as this reduces "racket" which helps stabilize the needle on the tuners.

I find that when tuning is right on, any open string will create a special pleasant lingering sound when plucked. Given this, the violin almost plays by itself.
Bach

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use a tuner. All I know about tuning is when you turn the know right the string goes higher and when you turn it left it goes lower. Also, when you turn the peg backwards you make string higher, forwards lower. When my brother used to play the guitar he used a tuner though. It was a clamp on.
mecqna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacK Rushing wrote:
I use a clamp-on tuner by " Intellitouch ". You can clamp it on the scroll,
or lay it flat on the top. With my tin ear, I need a good tuner. I have found
that you get more accurate results quicker, if you pluck the strings in a
straight up motion, rather than across them. Or, you can use your bow.

I had my Intellitouch for my guitar. The best tuner to me. Fast & accurate, forget the surrounding noises, since they tune by vibration rather than mic. But seriously never thought I could use 'em on a violin. I was desperate to tune my daughter's violin when we first bought it and somewhat had used my Intellitouch as a temporary measure. ( But can't seem to be able to clamp on anywhere in my case. So, yes I lay it flat on the body). And it ended up being the permanent tuner eversince!

I can tune by ear, they're pretty close still, most people won't be able to tell the difference ( not unless my family are bunch of deaftones ). But with the tuner, it's almost perfect, better than my ear, and I can tell their difference. So, I have never start my practices without a very good tuning.
Hyprodimus Prime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you guys all tune your own violins? Im very scared to tune my own because thats how I broke a string before.
Musicalion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: tuning your violin Reply with quote

I would recommend getting your teacher's help in learning to tune your own violin. If your teacher has the habit of tuning yours at the beginning of each lesson to save time, remind him/her that you'd like to learn to do it yourself.
each with preview page and audio file
also provide websites for musicians
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyprodimus Prime wrote:
So you guys all tune your own violins? Im very scared to tune my own because thats how I broke a string before.

Tuning will not break stings unless you tune way too high. Strings break from sharp corners on the hole in the pegs, age (corrosion), improperly fitted bridge, nut, defective tailpiece ... and abuse.
If in doubt ask your local luthier to check out your violin... advice is usually free!
Keep your bridge straight and happy tuning!
Cheers... Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: