Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

neck help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: neck help Reply with quote

what kind of expoy are you using for attaching the neck to the corpus???...

i am going to have to re-set my neck ...the hide glue is separating....i know i'm supposed to use epoxy according to my books and what i've read....but i just had to see...

any tips on application , dry time, open time would be helpful...thanks
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: neck help Reply with quote

jessupe goldastini wrote:
i am going to have to re-set my neck ...the hide glue is separating....i know i'm supposed to use epoxy according to my books and what i've read....but i just had to see...

Are we talking about violins? I think it's time for you to get some new reading material (and toss the stuff you've been reading).

Well fit mortise. Hide glue. Size the endgrain of the heal before fitting.

http://holmesviolins.com
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessupe,
I would never consider using anything other than hot hide glue...I have glued lots of necks and never a problem... but....use good 260 gram bloom strength granules, freshly and thoroughly dissolved, Consistency should be of about like honey, never heat it beyong 60 Degr C. Be sure to dry fit perfectly before gluing... hide glue is not a filler and will not hold where there is a gap. Preheat neck heel and mortice before assembly and never try to make ajustments after the glue starts to gel(just a couple of minutes) or you will greatly weaken the bond.
Once you put epoxy on the wood, there is no going back! With hide glue , If the parts don't go together just right, just pull it apart before it sets, wash off, analyse the problem and start again.... no problem.
Good luck, Mat
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a million guys....i think i stressed it while it was setting....back to the drawing board
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Epoxy Reply with quote

Just another voice to plead: NO epoxy! Epoxy errors are permanent. Epoxy is an error in itself--non-reversible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: