Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with Bow losing hair
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat - thanks so much for your comments and cautions. This all makes sense, and I will abide by your suggestions!

Shirley
ollieken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: bow hair Reply with quote

Mat
That is good advice you have helped me a lot along way at rehairing . I have seen your rehair work you do a great job .
I seen the one you done for Larry from your Neibour`s horse`.
very nice. Did you go get it at night ? ha ha .
I have a ? you see some bows with a nice thick ribbion if you get the hair
that comes pre packaged is there as much hair as you would put in if
you take it off a bundle where you can put in as much as you want .

Thank you all that reply with good advice us old newbies need it
Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken... Probably less... When you buy a single hank of hair there is usually too much hair. The reason is to satisfy those that want to be sure they get full value and those who (are less than good at rehairing) break a lot of hair in the rehair process.
A thin ribbon plays much better than a too full ribbon for a couple of reasons...
1-The bow shaft can only exert so much tension on the hair. Too much hair and the bow can't deliver the tension because the tension is spread out over too many hairs... sort of like you can't speed in an overloaded dory full of shine!
2- When you draw the bow on strings... only the lower outer layer contacts the strings... the rest do nothing except get in the way... sort of like kids!
3- When the hank is too thick it is harder to get the wedge to hold in the mortise.
If you count the hairs in several hanks (a pain to do but swig to two would help) you will soon get the feel for what works well... 180 to 220 hairs depending on the coarseness.
Cheers... and thanks for the compliments Ken!!... Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: