Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin is Impossible
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an intermediate level (RCM 6) in the classical guitar. I've started learning the violin a couple months ago by sitting and watching at my 6 year old daughter's lesson.
So far, I found that the violin is much easier to start with than the classical guitar. After a couple of months I can play many X-mas tunes, with some off pitch. Certainly, the left hand skills on the classical guitar help me a lot.

As somebody said, what matters is the devotion and love of music to be successful in any musical instrument. Rushing and impatience almost always lead to disappointment and failure.
joet1485

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Violin is Impossible Reply with quote

I started playing when I was 45. I had a GOOD teacher. She told me she would give me lessons only as long as I improved. I took lessons for 2 and a half years. But I never found another teacher who could relate to adults! I am 65 today and practice every day. I play old folks homes and practice in parks and malls where there are walkers. They seem to like the way I play but most of them are adults too. People often ask 'why did you pick such a difficult instrument to play? I always say 'it seemed like a good idea at the time and I can't sing so it worked.'
joet1485

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Violin is Impossible Reply with quote

I started playing when I was 45. I had a GOOD teacher. She told me she would give me lessons only as long as I improved. I took lessons for 2 and a half years. But I never found another teacher who could relate to adults! I am 65 today and practice every day. I play old folks homes and practice in parks and malls where there are walkers. They seem to like the way I play but most of them are adults too. People often ask 'why did you pick such a difficult instrument to play? I always say 'it seemed like a good idea at the time and I can't sing so it worked.'
joet1485

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 45. I hope I would be good enough to play the violin in friends' house or at the park by the age 65. Smile
You certainly seem to love music.
joet1485

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joet1485

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astrobob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Newbie & need some help Reply with quote

Hi all. You can call me BOB & I'm new this forum & to the violin.

I have read some of your posts above & i totally agree that age is not a big factor but passion is. I'm 21 yrs old & I need your help in directing me to resources or anything possible to get me started . I already got a cheap violin which seems fine & started learning on my own.

I love "The Seasons" which I hope that I will be able at least partially to play.

thx in advance. : ))))
www.astrobob.tk
Astrobob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Newbie & need some help Reply with quote

I have read some of your posts above & i totally agree that age is not a big factor but passion is. I'm 21 yrs old & I need your help in directing me to resources or anything possible to get me started . I already got a cheap violin which seems fine & started learning on my own.

I love "The Seasons" which I hope that I will be able at least partially to play.

www.astrobob.tk
Astrobob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Newbie & need some help Reply with quote

www.astrobob.tk
mecqna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Violin is Impossible Reply with quote

Verdi wrote:
Hi, just wanted to throw out a comment for some feedback.

Haha!..At a glance it sounds like you "wanted to throw" your violin out of the window!.. I second the motion. At least I would have someone to do that with.

And that Mississippi stop thing..... it's Mississippi Stoppit!...Stoppit! more to me!.. Yeah it's pretty humiliating trying to be funny with the violin when you're a father like me ( if it's not for my daughter I loved...urghh*!! ). Still trying to make some sense out of it every waking hour since we started it tho'.

But I have to agree in that almost everything you said is true!... except, all the other guys are more true, I think.

I mean, I've been twanging the guitars for umpteen years in pubs, doing gigs, recording sessions in practically all the styles, van halen, chet atkin, jeff beck, exploring alternate tunings..double-drop D in Eb etc.... but I'm soo spastic when comes to violin!

I thot for a moment string is string. How different can they get. Well first of all, we don't need to rosin our fingers playing the guitar. Period. End of story.
Fiddler1985

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think that playing the violin has nothing to do with age but rather personal taste and talent. You might be a virtuoso piano or guitar player and not be able to make a squeak on a violin. If everybody could play the violin well, don't you think a lot more people would? The violin is VERY hard to learn at any age, not just in adulthood. Nothing good comes easy, but some good things come easier than being good at the violin. Very Happy Good luck!
violinista_blu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this thread was posted! Smile

Hi!!! I am new to the forum and new to the violin.
I'm an old 'beginning student'.

I've had four lessons so far.. and am enjoying the challenge.

This has made for interesting reading.. and after reading the opening thread by Verdi my heart sank! However the following replies have given me hope/inspiration. Very Happy

I do not want to be a soloist virtuoso in anycase and am doing this purely for myself.. i've always wanted to learn/try the violin.. and the opportunity has presented itself to me now (albeit later in life) coupled with the motivation = so i am going for it.

I know full well that it will be hard!
I try looking at all the positives, each small step bringing me further along on the path.

These are some of the positives.. which make learning the violin for me (such as life) worthwhile..

My teacher seems patient and kind and hasn't bashed me over the head with my instrument yet! - this makes me hopeful! Laughing
The neighbours Rottweiler heads for his kennel when i practice - this makes me laugh! Laughing
When i am not making a hideous screeching sound (which is often) and instead feel the vibrations under my chin because on that odd ocassion have hit that sweet spot on the strings - this makes my heart skip a beat. Smile

Please feel free to visit my blog
Donna con il Violino Bluhttp://violinistablu.blogspot.com/
and if the moment takes you
you can leave your thoughts
would love to hear from you.
the violin
Donna con il Violino Blu
http://violinistablu.blogspot.com/
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: violin is impossible Reply with quote

One of the problems new players have when starting violin is making a scratchy tone.If you first learn to balance a large coin on the back of your right hand ,the hand will be guided to adjust correctly as you bow.Become aware that the note is made by moving the hair at the right speed across the string.
Pressure on the string is quite gentle.Just use the A string and the D string at first.Your arm and shoulder muscles will learn to co-operate with each other as you practice.
CO- OPERATE--------WORK TOGETHER.
That`s the important first ingredient.
All the activities you have been doing will have tensioned the muscles correctly for those activities.
Have you ever seen an athlete trying a completely unfamiliar sport?
You can help to get a smooth bow arm by getting a long dowel at the right angle and sliding your hand up and down with the coin balanced.
Feel the wrist adjust as the arm moves down.Feel when the elbow gets involved half way down.No noise needed.When you get to the end of the down stroke the elbow locks out and the wrist is at it`s limit.It is a lot to learn but a level wrist ,smooth straight line movement will construct the right combinations.
When you get further into this do some deliberate grating slow bows to understand what the cause of the noise is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: