Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preparation of Hide Glue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael

i never had glue grow bacteria until i moved to the seattle area. i actually found spots of mold on my glue that i had left sitting around for a few weeks. i normally store my baby food jar of glue in the fridge if i am going to reuse it, but for some reason, i just left this jar sitting out. it was quite a sight!

i have always warmed the joint with a blow dryer as well before gluing it. but that is just what i was trained to do in school. so, i didnt really know any better.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHen working on basses we need to use a paint stripping gun.
we use it on setting #2, no more. Setting 7 is for lighting the bbq!

On a glue note, my Master just got back from Paris, he picked up a bunch of Resins, some very nice hand made rasps and some glue. it is a mix of Rabbit, Bone and hyde glues, it is VERY clean. It is so clean it is beautiful, like a Golden varnish in the pot. so clear also. I have never seen anything like this. Will try to remember the name tomorrow.
sdantonio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent writeup. One thing that I would add. I tend to make up my hide glue in rather large batches. I chill in till it gels and then cut it up into small cubes. I then freeze the cubes and take one out when I need it.

I have never had a batch spoil from freezing, and it's a bit better than leaving it out on the benchtop between uses.

Just make sure the wife knows they arent regular ice cubes.
mikemolnar

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Preparation of Hide Glue Reply with quote

I like to prepare my glue daily.

I take a small Pyrex beaker into which I put a couple of teaspoonfuls of Behlens Hide Glue. Then I cover this with water and place the beaker in the hide glue pot. When the water is adsorbed by the glue granules, I add more water just to cover the coagulated mass.

The glue at this point is the thickest I would use.

If I need less thick glue, I add another equal amount.

Experience counts. I suggest err on the thick side.
violinarius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I have been lurking for a while, and finally have decided to come out and post.
My background is varied, but I have been woodworking for over 3 decades.
I am trying to build my first violin right now, and I find this to be very challenging. I appreciate everyones help!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing that the water in the glue pot does is keep the temperature more constant, since the electrical on/off units are either full on or full off. The water has a great heat capacity, so it can store a great deal of energy, and then slowly release it back, so the pot is not going on and then off every few seconds.
monradon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Please Put this in word or pdf format Reply with quote

Put this in a format that people can download from you I would even pay . You explained a bunch of stuff to me and it is very valuable info . I have not started to put together my hot glue stuff yet.
winxart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any particular treatment for preparing glue being suitable to put together parts which will be able to be disassembled in the future as top plates for example?
Concentration,quality of the glue ,water dilution...?
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: preparation of hide glue Reply with quote

I have an electric gluepot which came with a metal inner pot that I never use.The glue would dry on the metal surface around the edge.
As a replacement I used an old mug minus handle.The top is wider and tapers in gradually which fits into a home made aluminium surround.There is a plastic lid made from a top of a dry milk carton.This stops water vapour being lost and the glue never gets a skin on top.Otherwise I follow the other excellent advice here.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody mentioned the best dilution to use?I mean the way it either drips or runs when at the right temperature.I seem to have a notion that it needs to be just on the runny side.Too thick and it would drip.We`re down to ultimate skill here.(Just said that to give you a smile.)
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistency of warm honey is about right... but then it depends on what part you are gluing... Cheers, Mat
famuswood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about how long is long enough to keep hide glue clamped - specifically clamping plates. I'm leaving mine clamped overnight but is there a minimal time for clamping hide glue?
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the rest, but I leave mine clamped overnight.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 hrs for me... Mat
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gluing and leaving overnight. Relief that potential hazards are overcome .Hope that it all went well and put in a safe place like a baby in a cot. That explains the (almost) best part of violin making next morning when you come to release the new creation from the forest of clamps. A precious moment.
polkat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddlegem mentioned earlier that his 'pot' kept the glue at a consistent 165 degrees. I'm wondering if 165 might be a little hot for hide glue? I usually go about 145, and have found (it seems) that higher temps tend to slightly weaken the glue. But I can't prove that!

I find that if the glue is well mixed and at a good temp, and the joints are well fitted and quite clean (and who would want anything else?) in a warm room I can pull the clamps in about 8~10 hours. Sounds short I know, but I've never had a failure!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: