Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bass maker Peter Chandler passed away on January 26, 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Double Bass Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leif Luscombe
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Bass maker Peter Chandler passed away on January 26, 2007 Reply with quote

I bear the sad news of Peter Chandler's recent passing. He was a noted instrument maker in South Western Ontario, Canada, who specialized in the making of double basses, and noted for the publication of his book, So ... You Want to Make a Double Bass.

I knew Peter for about 10 years, he was always eager to discuss instrument making and willing to freely share any tips about the craft. He will be remembered for his generosity and enthusiasm, and painfully missed by all who knew this kind and sensitive man.

From his web site at www.peterchandler.net:

"Peter Chandler Remembered
November 1, 1928-January 26, 2007

Thanks to everyone who helped plan, contributed refreshments, spoke, performed, made donations in his honour, and attended Peter's memorial on Sunday, February 11. The family is still overwhelmed the number of people Peter touched during his life. Thank you all for your support.

Peter left a number of instruments in stock. Those who might be interested in a private sale are asked to phone Peter's wife, Sybil, at her home telephone number (519.666.0748) to discuss details."

-----------------------------------------------------

"Dance Community Loses Area Icon-from Strathroy community paper

Southwestern Ontario is mourning the loss of Peter Chandler, a round dance leader and instrument maker. Peter, of Middlesex Centre Township, died Jan 26, 2007. He was 78 years old.
Peter emigrated from England to become a successful dairy farmer. Peter and his wife, Sybil, were round dance leaders for the Strathroy Swinging Duos Square and Round Dance Club from 2001-2007. Peter was respected and admired. His teaching style of first demonstration, then clear teaching, in well-timed sessions, made learning a pleasure, never frustrating. The Chandlers had previously instructed round dancing in London and Lucknow, and attended conventions across Canada and in the U.S. In 2003, they were recipients of the Trillium Merit Award, presented by the Ontario Federation of Square and Round Dancers for outstanding contributions to the square and round dance movement.
Upon retirement from farming, Peter took up woodworking as a hobby, becoming a well known luthier, making and repairing stringed instruments for musicians world-wide. He especially enjoyed helping young musicians. Peter and Sybil were strong supporters of the London Youth Symphony, travelling with its young musicians to Europe on two tours. He published a book, called "So...You Want to Make a Double Bass" to international acclaim.
Peter Chandler had bountiful energy and many talents. He built his own home and an airplane. A memorial celebration of Peter's life was held on Sunday, Feb 11, in the Caradoc Community Centre."
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well-- I haven't any recent photos to show, yet, but I was on the phone with Peter at the moment he collapsed and died...he was giving me the last bit of advice I needed to complete my first bass. I still had a few setbacks, but yesterday it sang for the first time. I used Peter's book almost exclusively, to build from his "William Tarr" plans. Occasionally I referred to Chuck Traeger's book for set-up questions.

Peter had been looking forward to seeing photos of the completed bass. I will post them for everyone as soon as I take some pictures and figure out how to post them. I still may apply one more coat of varnish, as the color is still a little bright, but it is effectively complete. I wish I could show Peter....
sdantonio

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet,

We look forward to seeing your pictures and any insite you care to post regarding your "setbacks and problems" encountered while making the bass.

I also had the pleasure to correspond with Peter several times. He was always a great help and inspiration. I will miss our talks.

Steven
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of pictures over on talkbass--the double bass forum--thread is "Progress report"

I don't have a good way to post pictures here. (Or there, really, but I got three in.) Maybe I should work on a website... (sigh)

I did add two more coats of dark varnish, and that calmed the color down quite a bit.
francois

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Talkbass.com, in the [DB] Setup & Repair forum, there are two threads about Chandler:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334929

The one Chet is talking about is:
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293415

Regards,
François
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Francois. There are more photos there, now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Double Bass Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: