Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginners' Tuning Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zaiphon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Beginners' Tuning Question Reply with quote

Well, I starting learning violin on my own, through videos and books. But there are things that books don't answer.

Current I bought a 200$ Electric Violin... it had really cheap strings which I broke the next day while tuning it. Broke the big one... G string.

I just replaced them with: THOMASTIK DOMINANT

On the package the strings go as follow:
String d1, string g, string e2, string a1
I wonder what those numbers mean, maybe someone can enlighten me.

I also bought this digital electric tuner... I tuned all my strings.. had quite a bit of dificulty but I managed... but my "A" string feels loose to the touch and I have to press on it to get any sound, it like moves when I rub my bow on it unlike all my other strings.

oh and my e string has trouble vibrating to my bow, i have to put quite a bit of mozon/resin on it, to get it to vibrate enough to make sound.

Any tips, tricks would be most welcomed~

I do plan to get some lessons at a later time, its just not possible at the moment so I would like to try my best to progress on my own. It's just a hobby but a very fun hobby at that Smile

Kind regards, Alex.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex... are you sure you did not mix up the strings? and be sure your A is tuned in the right octave!
Also, It takes a little playing to get the rosin worked into the bow.... keep playing it will get there!
Google these these words... rosin new violin bow .... lots of info out there!
Good luck, Mat
ollieken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Strings Reply with quote

Hi The strings go on E {smalll one } is the first one A Next D & G top one
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help:

Violin Fingerboard Chart
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
Zaiphon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out! Well it seems I had to tighten it way more to get the real "A" note, I was getting the "A" on my electric tuner but it wasnt really producing much sound. But after really tighting the string, it feels more like a genuine sound a violin should be making. But I was soo afraid of breaking it like before.

Then I did the same with my "E" string and it worked, now I'm able to produce sounds way more often then before although I still have a little trouble producing constant sound. And the sound seems scritchy when I press on the string and try to produce sound. I still have to put quite a bit of rosin for the E string to produce good sound, is this normal?

It's still not quite perfect but it's getting there.
Thanks for everyone help Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: