Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bending tip liners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicfingers

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Bending tip liners Reply with quote

How does one go about bending the liner tip to the curve of the head??? Is there a process or some kind of chemical that will soften bone so it will fit the radius of the curve??? Thanks, Lonnie...
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few ways to do it.
I have a wooden block with a groove cut into it to fit the head of the bow and part of the shaft.
the tip plate is thinned with a file but left wide. with a triangular file make small grooves on the sides of the tip plate so the thread will have a place to rest and not slide all over. make a lot of them, but only on the sides. fit the tip plate, put the bow tip into the special block and with rehairing thread, wrap it around the tip and block ( I also have small grooves filed into the block) starting at the tip of the tip plate working towards the back. the tip will bend to fit the head. Please apply cyanoacrylate glue before wraping with the thread.
Another method is to use a metal jig with a clmp and a curved plate that bends the tip as clamping force is applied.
There is also another metal jig that can be purchased that bends the tip plate and then it is applied at a later time, but it is hard to get the precise curve..., when I use this method I generally let the tip soak in hot water ( or what I like to call H2OT) and it is less prone to dreaking, but the problem os th eliner comes off and has to be reglued which is a hassle.

I mostly use the second method, but what ever method you use you have to be careful and ensuer that the tip is on straight and tight up against the tip!!!!! WIth crazy glue there is not a lot of time for adjustments!!!!!!!

Good Luck
Pleas epardon any typos, I just finished a 10 hr day...
Jack Havivi
Havivi Violins
Israel
Ed

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I bend bone tips in a wood block setup. The curve of the wood blocks matches (or slightly exceeds) the curvature of the bow face you are trying to prepare the bone for. The bone is soaked in hot water mixed with washing soda for about 1 hour. Then it is put in the clamping blocks and clamped overnight. The next day, when it is taken out of the blocks, it is in a bent condition and can then be glued on to the bow without tension. Most of the time it works very well. Every so often, I get a tip that does not want to bend the first time. So I try it again. Here's a pic of the bending block arrangment. You have to be careful not to allow the part of the bone that covers the point of the tip to be under pressure when in the clamps, other wise it will break easily. I dont know what the composition of washing soda is, or where to get it (other than the supplier I have used in the past).
magicfingers

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the replies....

Ed, what is the brand of washing soda that you use??? Is this the same as bakeing soda???? Also, what is the amounts of the mixture and about what temp is the water???? Thanks, Lonnie...
Ed

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked up "washing soda" on Google - here's a definition:
washing soda
n : a sodium salt of carbonic acid; used in making soap powders
and glass and paper [syn: sodium carbonate, sal soda,
soda ash, soda]

It is "sodium carbonate". Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.
I just saw that you can buy Arm&hammer washing soda on Amazon. But, it might also be available in grocery stores in the soap section.
Re mixing it up - I get really hot water (close to boiling) and add it to the soda in a 35mm film canister. I think it's close to a concentrated solution.
magicfingers

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed, I'll give it a try and see if it works for me..Lonnie..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: