Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The juliard submission song

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marlinark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: The juliard submission song Reply with quote

Anyone know what song you have to be able to play to get into juliard with the violin?

I think it is Paganinis 24th caprice but, I am not sure.

Anyone know?

Thank you,
~Mark,
Free music downloads
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlinmark Ruggiero Ricci who must be the "expert" on Paganini says the 24th is one of the easiest.He definitely places number one as the hardest.Surely the Julliard give a list of pieces to turn up with.Even experts need to keep in practice with certain pieces and stop dust and rust creeping into the works.Look up anything Ruggiero has to say,and you won`t go far wrong.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juilliard is one of the five top music schools in the US. You would be expected to play a major concerto, from memory, some Bach, from memory, and some other works, perhaps a Brahms sonata. And sightread. And have great grades, high SAT scores and good keyboard skills. You would need probably 10 years of private lessons and tons of experience playing in youth symphonies, chamber music groups and summer camps.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html

Last edited by techfiddle on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marlinark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

That is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I have been playing the piano since I was 7, violin since I was 11, guitar since I was 13, Drum set since I was 14, and Mandolin since I was 12. I have played as first chair in my chamber orchestra, philharmonic orchestra, school philharmonic orchestra, and state philharmonic orchestra. I have released 8 different songs I wrote mp3 downloads on emusic, napster, itunes and amazon mp3 with violin, guitar, and piano overlap recording. Have tooked top ranking of Superior 5 times in national piano association performances.

Juilliard definitely is more of a prestigious school than I was aware of and that is very good to know. Did you go to Juilliard or is this information based off of research?

Thank you,
Marlinark
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> Did you go to Juilliard or is this information based off of research?

No, I went to Manhattan School of Music and Rice. But all you have to do is go online and look at the admissions information at any good school. And research, yes to that; I develop web pages on violin pedagogy and some of this material has to do with auditioning for university programs in violin. See:

From Violin/Viola FAQ:
6. As a general rule, what are the audition requirements for undergraduate programs in violin and viola?
7. Sample Undergraduate Audition - Violin/Viola
8. M.M. and DMA Audition Requirements - Violin/Viola

I'm surprised you didn't know about Juilliard. Right off the top of my head, the best music schools are something like:

Curtis
Juilliard
USC
Indiana
Rice
Eastman
Cleveland Institute of Music
Peabody
Oberlin (undergrad only)
Manhattan School of Music
Mannes College of Music
Berklee
New England Conservatory
Boston U
Yale
UC Berkeley (musicology)
San Francisco Conservatory (chamber music)
Michigan
Northwestern
University of Miami
University of North Texas

I'm not sure how accurate my list is. Curtis is definitely the top, however; this is where all the young prodigies go, who play like adults when they're children. Curtis only accepts a small number of students, and of those it accepts, all go for free.

We're discussing this on Maestronet, and another string player pointed out that this list really depends on what you mean by "best." Rice is one of the best schools for orchestral training, Berklee for jazz and pop, and UC Berkeley for musicology. Just really depends on what you're looking for. I studied a year at Chapel Hill because I wanted access to their music library, which is in the top four in the US, second only to I think the Library of Congress. Yale apparently doesn't have an undergraduate program (I did not know this), and SFCM is tops in chamber music.

And of course there are tons and tons of good local schools which turn out good musicians, composers, conductors, or students who go on to top schools for graduate school. The main thing, however, is to find the teacher you want to work with. And try to find what the teacher does in the summer, and do that if you can.
Marlinark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I have heard many great things about some of these schools but would really like to know which one makes the musicians. (Not overgeneralizing) Often the best musicians in the world are also the best at defying all rules. I would love to hear which one produces the most successful names.

IE
Weezer = Juliard

Hey ... I appreciate the useful information!

Thank you,
~Mark
techfiddle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Mark, I don't think the best musicians are produced by schools at all, but by a fortuitous combination of special gifts and a fanatical practice habit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: