Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stuck plug and warped bow
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack... Yes ... I know, but work flow, like electricity, usually ends up following the path of least resistance. Trimming a plug on a disc sander cuts my time ten fold... and the fit is usually better. Even with a file I can do a better job.
My problem with cutting the plug by hand is how to hold the plug securely enough to make good clean cuts.
How do you hold the plug?
Maybe I will learn yet!... Mat
Becky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat, if you were rehairing a Glasser bow would you reuse their plastic plug or still make your own wood one? I've never seen a plug with a round contour on the bottom as you describe doing (that probably says a lot about the "quality" of the bows I've been practicing with). Which way is the contour shaped?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky... I do very few Glasser bows... but when I do I reuse the plastic plug because it is designed and formed to be very specific to fit the bow.
The contour on the bottom I referred to is the portion of the plug that is in contact with the Hank (bundle) of hair that lays on the bottom of the mortise. The hank is round and so the curve matches the hank and has the effect of centering the hank in the mortise.
Cheers, Mat
Becky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mat,
Thanks, that helps. The contour makes perfect sense--I'm surprised I haven't seen it before. Now that you say it, it seems like the only logical way to make it.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
Jack... Yes ... I know, but work flow, like electricity, usually ends up following the path of least resistance. Trimming a plug on a disc sander cuts my time ten fold... and the fit is usually better. Even with a file I can do a better job.
My problem with cutting the plug by hand is how to hold the plug securely enough to make good clean cuts.
How do you hold the plug?
Maybe I will learn yet!... Mat

Hope this is not triple posted...I hold the wedge down on my work bench or cutting block and use a knife sharp enough to shave with.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1235268326726951342&hl=en

this is short artistic film of me doing some bow work done by a student who had a 4 minutes at someone's work project.
at minute 1:00 to 1:02 there is a shot of me cutting a side of a plug. that is how I hold it...

If you get proper results with a disc sander than more power to ya!
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jack... Nice shots in the video. side cuts are usually easy.. but end cuts... I'll try a few by hand. BTW.. what kind of wood are you using for the plugs?
Which way do you orient the grain and the annular rings?
Thanks, Mat
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

annular rings are horizontal... sometimes it just happens that I cut it the other way...
I use a hard maple....

When cutting the end grain you really do need a super sharp knife, otherwise it will just be a mess!!!
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Bow Making Reply with quote

This all reminds me of the carbon bow I bought from France[Must be good eh?-- from France?]The day after it arrived I played one chord and have a slow motion memory of the hair parting company with the tip and slowly descending.Me standing there mouth open taking in the full horror.Another illusion shattered.But after a quick check in my trusty Heron Allen I sorted through my offcuts and had a new plug fitted and working in half an hour.What bothered me was the sloppy way the original plug was made and the way it was tortured into position,with obvious signs of rush and I would guess a little violence.
O K it was French but I know now --not a patch on my Pernambucco French bow.
Almost parrallel I bought a flamenco guitar recently .The string grooves in the nut were filed to a sharp V.The sharp V was shaving bits off the bottom of the string.First time I played it the top string broke with a BANG.Reminded me of the violins we had at school {CATGUT}.I know it`s not really a cat`s guts but there`s always a knowall to put me straight and let`s hope the capitals cause maximum irritation.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I emphasise the principle used to hold a bow plug in place?
This is the basic example of a servo mechanism.If the plug is cut properly there is no need for jamming or any force.The amateur repairer needs to closely examine diagrams of this layout to understand what happens when the hair tension is applied.
If you do not absorb the engineering principle you will find you are always struggling. (See the Heron Allen book for details and diagram.)
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a servo mechanism? I`m not so sure now.It locks in position as the tension increases.The rotation force is what does the work.Imagine the clever person that first thought of that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: