Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cowling Independant finger exercises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Cowling Independant finger exercises Reply with quote

Has anybody ever used those cards with finger exercises ?They were photos of different combinations that taught the fingers to move independantly.I think they were called the Cowling system.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I remember why I mentioned these exercises.Try this move .Hold your left hand up flat ,fingers vertical. First exercise--bend 1st and 3rd fingers at second joint.Keep the other two straight.Then relax back to start position.
Next test --bend 2nd finger on it`s own.
You may try 2nd and 4th together but most people cannot manage that .It is the way most humans are built.The tendons stop the fourth finger being completely independant of the 3rd one.See medical books for details.
Apart from that restriction try all the other possible combinations and it will help a lot with Bach Sonatas.
While I mention those,if you sift out all the really notchy chords and finger patterns and write them all out on a separate sheet you have a really tasty exercise and the writing out will also get it into your head much more securely. Surprisingly that comes to just half a sheet of manuscript paper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: