Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

horse hair storage - what is the best way?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jokorum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: horse hair storage - what is the best way? Reply with quote

ok..next stupid question...

Can anybody tell me what is the best way to store horse hair? if bought in bulk, do you need to store it in any special environment or wrap it in damp paper or something or do you simply keep it hanging..or lying in closed boxes

Also, if you are using a large hank of hair to make several bows with, again do you need to store it in a special way or can it be out hanging in the open. I know from my professional career that humidity effects the hair quite a lot so if you have a lot of it..what do you do with it to keep it in mint condition.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks peeps!
John Cadd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely hanging down would be it`s natural position.Then swot a few flies when you need.No I`m being silly now.You need to wet the hair during the fitting process so humidity is a minor worry when it`s loose.Bugs generally work in the dark as in a case.They may not like daylight.There must be a biology article about such things.
SooT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you store in a ziplock bag.
jokorum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks both of you for good info...

So humidity is actually not a problem..great. I will try to dig up some info about biological stuff..thanks .

And you say a Ziplock bag... would that be hanging up or lying down? and does this info apply to bulk as well as small amounts? I assume the Ziplock bag does something like prevent the bugs from geting at the hair..am I correct?

Being a professional violinist myself I thought that bugs get into the case..am I correct or do they come with the hair...eggs etc in bundles...

cheers guys!
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a loop of cord for hanging tied to the bound end of the bundle of hair. I have made a long, skinny plastic bag about 40 inches long, that fits the full length of the bundle of horsehair. The bag is open at both ends, and I slide the bundle through the bag, pull out the hanging loop, the put a small clamp on each end of the bag. I hangs in my shop, all nice and straight, and the plastic keeps it clean.

www.wallindependent.com
SooT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziplock bag laying down in a drawer. Got that from bow making class with Lynn Hannings.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look under Mary van Clay (bow bugs)from Johnson instruments.She explains in a fascinating article all about the little devils. They don`t like daylight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: