Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

favourite violin pieces
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amalia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not offended at all. I make plenty of typos and I know it. I think faster than I type and I often don't see the mistakes until I hit "submit" and the words reappear in a new format. I usually reread my post and go back and edit out my errors, but sometimes I'm in a hurry and just "post and run". My apologies if it offends you to read less than perfect written communication, but I think having a rude, critical spirit is a far worse offense.

The only reason I'm commenting about this at all is because I've seen posters like you ruin many otherwise great boards. "I" may not be offended, but your nit-picking will certainly drive off some very nice people whom the rest of us might like to interact with, regardless of their grammar skills.
little lady

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Amalia. I think the reply to her was rude.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

little lady wrote:
I'm with Amalia. I think the reply to her was rude.

Well, I apologize. It was really not my intention to be rude.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your apology is sincere. You seem to have a lot of good musical information to share and I'm sure we'd all enjoy hearing it, if shared with a more amiable spirit.

Prov 16:21
21 The wise in heart will be called discerning, and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness.
(NAS)

Prov 16:21
21 The wise man is known by his common sense, and a pleasant teacher is the best.
(TLB)
Highlander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past few days I have been listening to Bachs brandenburg concerto no3, and I am going to see Meadows Chamber Orchestra playing it tonight.
Techfiddle much as we appreciate the knowledge you wish to share with us what is on your CD/Ipod whatever this week.
little lady

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a big person to apologize.
By the way, Techfiddle, that is a really nice Website !!
Highlander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded
techfiddle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlander wrote:
For the past few days I have been listening to Bachs brandenburg concerto no3, and I am going to see Meadows Chamber Orchestra playing it tonight.
Techfiddle much as we appreciate the knowledge you wish to share with us what is on your CD/Ipod whatever this week.

I've got two advanced students who are examining the non-traditional techniques used in Penderecki's "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima." See:

http://beststudentviolins.com/StringSymbols.html

One of these students is also looking at Haydn Quartets. So I'm listening to Haydn Quartets and Penderecki. Also some quartets by Phillip Glass and this CD, which is about preparing for orchestra audiitons:

Orchestral Excerpts for Violin, William Preucil (Audio CD)

I'm also studying a CD which accompanies this book:

Baroque String Playing for Ingenious Learners, Judy Tarling

This book is relatively hard to find and is available through the Bolder Early Music Shop.

I guess, overall, I'm kind of torn between interest in baroque performance practice, contemporary composition and Classical form.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
Highlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks techfiddle, the Baroque Stringplaying for Ingenious Learners looks like something that would interest me at the moment. In amongst all the reading and essays I have to do for higher English, I am currently reading: Unfinished Journey, by Yehudi Menhuin, his acount of his first violin lessons are hilarious. If anyone wants to ask any questions about him, post on my "The Way Ahead" thread. I would be glad to assist.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Favourite pieces Reply with quote

Taking me right back to 1953 in one of my first lessons as a ten year old and the music I heard today played by Arthur Grumiaux . Beethoven`s Minuet in G .
He plays so elegantly and lets the music breathe. The piano chimes in perfectly . The balance and volume is just right . Legato notes are perfect .The quicker section is not too heavy or harsh . Music that always remains fresh . This is always quality Beethoven .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Favourite pieces Reply with quote

A favourite piece ,but one that gets thrashed mercilessly is Meditation. I won`t mention the composer because you all know the one I mean .
Many times it`s used as a demo piece when a violin is being tried out on a video . Statistically the piece is played in a slushy ,schmatsy fashion . Usually too slow . So a refreshing change is to hear Joseph Hassid turn it into a genuine work of art . I met a violin teacher in a music shop once and she had never heard of Hassid . How could that be possible ? In the Hassid recording the emotion and sadness comes through with single notes . Part of that is the Vuilaume copy of a Guarneri and partly Hassid`s bowing and vibrato .That`s almost a lifetime`s study in itself .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: