Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shoulder Rest problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Shoulder Rest problems. Reply with quote

If I was a giant whale I would blow bubbles around shoulder rest problems and then scoop them up by the thousands as I reached the surface. Tell me all about your painful shoulders and hickeys.
Does your teacher cure all your problems for you?
What would you change. Treat this as a Rant Line.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably get into trouble for saying this, but I generally don't think the shoulder rest can be blamed. I think it's a matter of physical culture. The muscles in the arms and hands are often weak and unresponsive.

With children you frequently have to use two or more pads or other devices, so that the metal on the chin rest doesn't bother them and they are allowed to naturally develop strength and coordination in their arms. But with children and adults I recommend weight lifting, small 3 or 4 lbs. weight, many reps in small doses over time.

Re the hickey issue, see:

What on earth is a "Violin Hickey"?
http://beststudentviolins.com/StringCareSpecs.html#16

and

Kinder Chinder, Chin Cozy and KUNS
http://beststudentviolins.com/survival.html#shoulderrests
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start of with, I used a car sponge. The violin pointed to the sky, as I made violent efforts to hacksaw the thing in half using a bow. "what a sight."
Now I have shaped a pad from a piece of sponge I bought from a D.I.Y. shop. It slides about a bit, but at least I dont look like I have my arm in traction anymore. I will eventually find a pad that suits me, but I will make do with the shaped foam for now.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that Heifetz had curvarure of the spine through so much playing. Oistrakh would bring a physiotherapist with him when he came on tour.
I saw a u tube demonstrating how to play violin ( Professor V ?)and ,Oh dear ,what did I see? He was wearing a shirt with button down collar.That certainly won`t help.Even when the collar is undone ,that little button on the tip of the collar knows just where to hurt you.Right on the collar bone.
Here`s another minus in the violin holding situation: Shirts with sleeves that slant downwards.If you lay out a shirt flat the sleeves should point straight outwards---East West. If they slant down they will always be pulling on the shoulders and restricting you.
The shoulder strength thing can`t be true, surely.Unless you have tested many hundreds of players how would you know that.
I used to find it awkward at school when we did pull ups in the
gym and press-ups .Rugby practice ,cross-country runs ,rope climbing.
Why is there one culture that says hold it up high,and an opposite culture eg Nathan Milstein and Ruggiero Ricci ,that play(ed) with the instrument low down?
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techfiddle
What you say about weights is a very good idea for beginners (young or old ) to prepare the arms and shoulders but I was thinking of players who have been playing for some time.
Looking back to my ten years old stage the awkwardness was part of the difficulty of playing.That was it. No shoulder rests were on sale where I lived.
Also the dreaded bakelite Strad chinrest was there to torment me. Currently in Chester UK that model is the only one available in the shop I visited this week.
But with a shoulder rest there is still a gap to be filled in cutting out all the tensions involved.
Why do music students at college still have hickeys?
Nigel Kennedy has one also ,without a shoulder rest.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way chinrests have their problems too.I often see players with their chin on top of the tailpiece with the chinrest to one side.
There seems to be a rigid agreement among photographers to have everybody looking along the fingerboard.Why do they do that?
Ladies always seem to play with the violin much more to the front of them.This would clash with the position needed for the shoulder rest to work properly. This is my impression from the many photographs you see.These pictures must have an affect on attitudes.
Slightly off to one side.---
The worst photograph ever connected to violins must be the Insurance advert pamphlet that came with the Strad magazine.There is a very pretty dark haired lady with bright red long fingernails and a bow hold to give any teacher nightmares.On the front cover in full technicolour, if you don`t mind . Somebody should have a word with them. There`s no shortage of attractive ladies who can hold a bow properly. It`s naming and shaming time Strad .
What`s that got to do with shoulder rests? Not a lot.
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Es imposible tocar la violin con uñas largas. Y es una escándalo a pintar las uñas rojas!

LOL! But I do tend to look down the finger board. At least I did when I could see the fingerboard. Now I have make a choice between glasses that allow me to see the fingerboard or glasses that allow me to see the music or glasses that allow me to see the conductor! Who cares about the shoulder rest when you can't see anything? Well, I suppose you could play with your eyes closed... Anyway, Merry Christmas.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Amalia I too had the confusion of needing glasses.It`s when you are grown up the transition is awkward.
I just need to nip out and get some spare hearing aid batteries now.Good job they are hi-fi digital .I would be sunk without them.
Happy Christmas .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: