Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thumb and Palm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonade92

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Thumb and Palm Reply with quote

Hi there,

My violin teacher emphasize to me that the thumb should experience no pressure at all while playing. But when I played, a little part of my palm (the area under the first finger) will touch the fingerboard. It is suppose to be not touching?
Amalia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Touching" is not the same as "pressure". Just don't "squeeze with the thumb. The thumb should have a very light touch and the opposite part of the hand (which I think you are describing - at the base of the first finger) may or may not touch the side of the neck lightly depending on whether you are fingering a note or playing an open string, etc. Usually when you are playing a fingered note, it does not touch. When you are playing an open string it does.
miamia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing This is exactly what I asked my teacher this past weekend! When performing one string crossing, I'm ok (A-E-A etc). When performing multiple string crossings (A-E-A-D etc), I find that I begin to squeeze or not know how to move my palms.

I was actually told it depends which string you are depressing. When depressing G and D for example, the area under the first finger may touch.
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: touching strings Reply with quote

Hi Lemonade92
I may be wrong but what age are you and do you think the violin you are using may be too big. or is it that you are stretching to reach the bottom strings.
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you change strings, remember to move your entire arm (elbow) , not just your hand at the wrist. That will help in more ways than one.
Lemonade92

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. Smile
I'm an adult learner. Yes...the full size violin is a little big for me. But I am ok with it because a full size violin produce better sound.

Pardon me but I still don't really get it. If you are pushing down a string to produce the note, then there is a need for a force to support the violin up. The force does not come from the neck right? So where does the support come from? The palm?
Amalia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately not the palm of the hand, ever. The violin should be supported firmly enough at the shoulder so that very, very minimal thumb pressure is needed to keep the neck from dropping as the fingers are pressed down.

A common (almost universal) mistake that beginners make is to squeeze the neck between the thumb and the side/base of the first finger. This greatly restricts the movement of the fingers, hand and even the arm. The player then has problems changing strings, shifting, doing vibrato, using the 4th finger, and otherwise manuvering around the finger board. However, if you remain only on one string and in only one position, using only 3 fingers, then you can continue to play that way. Wink
Lemonade92

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does it mean that it is the shoulder that is supporting while the fingers are pushing down on the strings? Won't this cause tension in the neck?

Is the thumb providing any support at all. I really find it hard to achieve that. Sad
Lemonade92

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been practicing my 4th finger. Today, I realised my thumb hurts badly. I think I have sprained it. Does it mean that I am in the wrong position?
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher used to tell me not to let the first joint bend backwards .Good advice. But if you look carefully at Jascha Heifetz in his slow motion film you will see him let his third finger joint bend backwards.
Good job my teacher wasn`t watching.
Amalia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thumb causes me problems if I'm constantly putting backward pressure on it. Unfortunately i'm in the habit of doing this as I type on my computer (I press my thumbs against the front edge of my computer as I type). I don't notice the pain so much when I'm actually on the computer, but when I go to play the violin it arises to haunt me. If I want to play, I MUST keep my left thumb joints bent forward slightly in their natural curve, and I MUST NOT use hardly any pressure against the neck. (And of course I have to discipline myself to move to a more natural typing position. I think one of those soft gel wrist rests would do the trick.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: