Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin Progression

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonade92

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Violin Progression Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I just started learning violin about 6 months ago. I intend to take ABRSM grade 8 exam in four years time. May I know whether is it possible?

I try to practice at least 30 mins a day...
Highlander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know for sure lemonade 92
but I started about the same time, how about we follow each others progress, what stage are you at now
miamia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone progresses at a different rate so there is no real answer for your question. It is certainly possible for some people. However, if you intend to reach your goal, I would think more practice is necessary. 30 minutes is nothing for those who are actually dedicated. At the same time, you said nothing about your background, your methods, your practice schedule (targeted practice/what and how you practice is more important than the actual time you spend practicing), etc which would also be a factor.

Talking to your teacher and mapping out a plan would also help a great deal. You teacher could also give you a better assessment.
caeman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just going to throw this out there, because I am an optimist at heart...

Yes, you can do it. If you remain diligent in your practice and of the right mind and spirit, you can do it. You may have to expand to two 30-minute practice sessions per day. Or not, but keep a log and be flexible. Track your efforts.

I keep a daily log of what instruments I have practiced on, and what songs I am working for that instrument.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question of "how long will it take me to get good at the violin" is addressed in a couple of recently published NY Times Bestsellers, Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers: The Story of Success, and Geoff Colvin, Talent is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else. [Both books also available on Kindle.] Both authors were interviewed (separately) on Charley Rose a few months ago.

Both books cite a study done in the early 1990's by the psychologist K. Anders Ericsson and two colleagues at Berlin's elite Academy of Music. The answer seems to be that it takes about five years to really get into the violin. According to the research, it takes 10,000 hours (about 10 years) to master it; success, perhaps not surprisingly, is primarily based on practice time.

Other research supports this 10 year requirement, as well. From Peter Norvig's "Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years", a webpage about learning programming:

Quote:
Researchers Bloom (1985), Bryan & Harter (1899)*, Hayes (1989), Simmon & Chase (1973)** have shown it takes about ten years to develop expertise in any of a wide variety of areas, including chess playing, music composition, telegraph operation, painting, piano playing, swimming, tennis, and research in neuropsychology and topology. There appear to be no real shortcuts: even Mozart, who was a musical prodigy at age 4, took 13 more years before he began to produce world-class music.

In another genre, the Beatles seemed to burst onto the scene with a string of #1 hits and an appearance on the Ed Sullivan show in 1964. But they had been playing small clubs in Liverpool and Hamburg since 1957, and while they had mass appeal early on, their first great critical success, Sgt. Peppers, was released in 1967.

See:
How long will it take me to get really good at the violin?
http://beststudentviolins.com/PedagogyTech.html#31
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemonade 92
If you practice when you are young it is like money in the bank.All your adult life you will be glad you started young. Here`s a silly example---I found a harmonica in a cupboard recently and had not touched it for nearly 30 years.I only ever played it by ear and I played the American National Anthem as soon as I picked it up.But I`d never played that tune before in my life. Your brain will learn things you don`t even realise if you start young. Get in the habit of squeezing in a quick 20 minutes even when you are busy.
Nathan Milstein ,in a film ,takes his violin out and just pitches straight into a bit of fast Paganini.No ceremony ,he just starts. There you go.
LSOviolinist

Location: Los Angeles, California/Boston, Massachusetts/New York, New York

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemonade92

I would strongly agree with techfiddle and other members who stress practice time. You simply must practice more than 30 minutes. An hour should be your minimum practice time. You can do a lot with an hour, but you have to know how to practice. An example is, if you play through your piece(s), you don't want to play through the entirety of the piece making mistakes because you're training yourself to make those mistakes. Start at the beginning and play through and as soon as you make a mistake, however slight, stop and fix it. This will train your ears and hands to void these mistakes. Even Itzhak Perlman says that the amount of time isn't as important as the way you practice, however, I still think that you should shoot for an hour+ a day.

Best of luck in your pursuit!
Amalia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that it's very helpful to divide up your practice time into 2 separate sessions per day rather then just one. You don't seem to "forget" what you've learned and need to review as much. You can just keep moving forward.

I've also found that starting out each session with a few minutes of very slow playing and intense "listening" for the exact right pitch, works wonder to cut down wasted "warm-up" time. It used to take me about 30 mintutes to "warm up" and feel like I had my finger memory back. Now it takes me only 5 minutes or less because I'm "listening" so much better and my fingers are aiming at the next "sound" not just reaching for some unmarked spot on the finger board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: