Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A smoother rosin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalia wrote:
..... In the past I've just taken my other bows to the local violin shop and said, "Please put new hair on this." LOL!

Amalia... you need to say more than that... Use the best hair possible... Unbleached only, From a stallion only (no mares, sorry) and from a cold climate ... like Siberian. Then be sure you are at a professional rehair shop... not your average garage!
How will you know you are getting the truth ( cause you won't be able to know the difference for sure)? Ask for a reference from professional players, and if three point in the same direction... you should be OK!
Cheers... Mat
LSOviolinist

Location: Los Angeles, California/Boston, Massachusetts/New York, New York

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about the bow hair Amalia...

I would recommend that you have your bow rehaired only by a shop and luthier that you trust. Some "cheaper" shops and music stores sometimes cut the amount of time that they spend rehairing bows and you can end up with your bow hair collapsing!Shocked I'm not trying to worry you, all I'm saying is just take it to someone you trust or a shop that is respectable. Very Happy
Amalia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I really appreciate the advice.
LSOviolinist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For LSOviolinist. The Gustav Bernadel Rosin arrived by post after a week and it was worth the wait. Really nice rich tone. Thanks for the help.I shall always recommend it. French rosin with a French bow. Can`t be bad.
LSOviolinist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amezcua,

I'm so glad it worked out! The Gustave Bernadel rosin has always been an incredible addition to my instrument. I'm happy that you like it and I hope it serves you well Very Happy.
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold 2 (by Liebenzeller aka Larica) is best and doesn't have the harsh surface noise of dry cheap rosins. Most elite players from the past and present are addicted to it like to a drug Razz
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
From a stallion only (no mares, sorry)

This idea appears still (even Johnson Stringed Instruments perpetuates it on their web site), but it is actually (this is not directed at you Mat) complete hogwash!

Many musicians and shops PREFER mare's hair! One of the most respected names in bowhair, Michael Sowden, uses primarily mare's hair in their best product. Smile He says it holds rosin better.

Another seller of bow hair claims that there's no way to tell the difference by the time the stuff arrives, that for instance in China no distinction is made based on source, buying and selling is all done according to color and length.

I'll take Michael Sowden's word regarding the material he uses, but the latter comment no doubt is relevant to much of the hair found in average shops.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andres I have only seen an article about the messy, smelly job that Chinese workers do to prepare bow hair. Bits of the horse are still attached at that stage.
Where would the Canadian horse hair be processed in the early stages. ? I mention Canadian because it is thick hair and is less elastic ,or stretchy.Too much elasticity makes a bow less able to press if you play" that type of instrument."(ie not a Strad ).
This is ,again, not a question of better or worse but a component that blends with all the other influences making" your sound."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: