Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The way ahead.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlander wrote:
Thanks techfiddle,
I have the first Suzuki book and the 2 Bach pieces in those are my favourite to play, its good to rehearse the two back to back and over again to improve my touch. Im thinking of transposing them to different key,s to get used to the scales.

Did you click on that link to the Suzuki Repertoire list? Because there was an error in the source code (I fixed it).

If you click here:

http://www.sagwa.org/Resources/Repertoire/Repertoire.html

...you will see there are THREE Bach pieces in the Suzuki book 1, the THREE minuets:

13 Minuet 1* Bach
14 Minuet 2* Bach
15 Minuet 3 Bach

* - Duet parts are published for pieces identified with an asterisk.

Book 3 has the following:

1 Gavotte* Martini
2 Minuet* Bach
3 Gavotte in g minor Bach
4 Humoresque Dvorák
5 Gavotte Becker
6 Gavotte in D major Bach
7 Bourrée Bach

The first minuet is a reprive of a minuet in book 1, but in a-b-a form, with a contrasting g minor (parallel minor to the relative G major) in the center. Then there are two gavottes and a bourrée by Bach, as well.

Students frequently think that the minuet, gavotte (especially gavotte), bourrée, etc., are names of one single piece. One has to explain to them that these are names of baroque dance forms, and there are many, perhaps thousands of "gavottes," etc.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
Highlander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not gone away. Due to my busy schedule with night classes and so on, I have had to leave the violin alone for a few weeks but I will be back as soon as I have some improvement.
Highlander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back.

After computer meltdown and a paperwork filled few months I now have time to concentrate on music again.

Many musical things have happened since I last posted. In way of equiptment, I have fixed up and made playable another violin. This one belonged to my great grandfather, and it is a completely different sound from the other one. In appearance the violin is a yellow varnish, though it has quite a few scratches and scrapes, but it sounds wonderful. I fitted new pegs and a tail button, and got Thomastik, Vision Titanium Solo strings for it.

The Vision strings are not as heavy as the Dominants, which brings out a softer but brighter tone across the instrument. The violin itself, has a reverberating echo in comparison with my strad copy. The strad copy has a direct, attention grabbing sound, but not as pleasing on a softer approach. I kept the Dominants on the strad copy and I use the vision on the newly fixed one (I dont have a name for it yet).

I also got a top quality rehair on my favourite bow. It has made a signifacant difference to the way I play. I thought it a little cheeky getting a professional re-hair, as I am still a learner, but I felt I needed to know what the difference between a cheap bow and a good bow really is.

I have not been reading notation as much as I should have been, though now, I have more time to put my mind to it; paperwork is done for this year.

I have been playing violin for a few hours each day, and I am much more familiar, and confident than I was a few months ago. (I recognise where I have been going wrong Very Happy ).

I hope to make good improvement over the coming few months and I am glad I am having time to concentrate on music again after a short break. Cheers.
Amalia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only played a few times in the last month. I've been riding horses instead and I'm just too tired when I get home from that. But in another week I'll be going back up North and won't have any horses to ride so it's back to the violin for me then. Smile
Highlander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amelia, you should write a tune on your violin about your horses when you are there.
Highlander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to use the other violin as my first, deciding on the dominant G, and D, although this might change. I am using the Vision A, which I think sounds great and the gold pirastro E.
The E feels a little heavy and I think it would benefit from a lighter string. I think I will keep swapping between the Vision and Pirastro until my fussy mind is satisfied.
The Dominant G gives a rich warm tone with a good solid bite on the rosined bow. I think changing the D to a lighter dominant would give me exactly what I want on the first three strings.
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing double stops on the violin quite successfully, (I astound myself sometimes) just had a mad thought of transposing the start of Elgars' cello concerto to the bottom strings. I just love the way the double stops produce such a prominent and elegant ring at the start of the piece.

Also just back from Queens' Hall in Edinburgh. I went to see Jesus' Blood Never Failed me yet. The Piece has six violins, three viols, a cello and a basso. It really was moving and It will remain in my memory for quite some time.

Anyway, it will be a short while until my next concert, I have an exam in a couple of weeks time. Got to get past higher English or its another year until I can sit the Exam again.
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see Steve Martin play banjo at the DSO last week. It was GREAT. He is an excellent banjo player. The fiddler in the group was fabulous. You could tell he was classically trained just by looking at the way he held his bow and fiddle. He played fiddle style with the best of them and better, because he could get around the finger board better (use all the positions, not just first. When he did the Orange Blossom Special he improvised some fancy classical piece (I forget now which one it was, something we'd all recognize) into the middle of it. LOL. Too fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: