Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inquiry re: Fine tuners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techfiddle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Inquiry re: Fine tuners Reply with quote

Why do some violins, particularly smaller, "fractional" instruments,
have four fine tuners, when the adult and higher priced instruments
only have a fine tuner on the E string?

My thinking is the following, but I don't know if it's accurate or
complete:

The reason fractional instruments have the fine tuners on all the strings has to do with the smallness of the instrument. The adjustments on the smaller instruments are proportionately smaller, in other words. The built-in tuners found in Wittner tailpieces and other brands are an improvement on the old "Suzuki" fine tuners and older designs that have the post that is apt to grind into the top plate of the instrument.

However, lower priced full size instruments also have fine tuners on all the strings. This may be in part because of the notable difference in skill levels between beginning students and more advanced students; beginners aren't at least initially able to tune using the open strings and by wrapping the left hand around the scroll. Beginners are frequently not yet able to tune by playing double stops, listening to the open fifths of the strings. It's easier for beginning students to tune with the fine tuners.

More experienced players also make fine adjustments on the three lower strings by pressing the string within the peg box, just after the string crosses the nut into the peg box--which stretches the string and brings up the pitch slightly. Aternatively, you can lower the pitch of a string by grasping the string on the fingerboard and pulling slightly. Neither of these methods really work on the E string.

Additionally, all that hardware on the taillpiece may dampen the sound on a better instrument. Non-wooden tailpieces also fail to transfer vibration as well as the wooden tailpieces.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
Amalia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids' violin teacher wants tuners on all their strings just so it's easier for the kids to tune their violins.
Highlander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading these posts I decided to remove the fine tuners on the three bottom strings, to try things out. I found that the tone of the Dominaint strings became richer and the instrument seemed more solid. There was also less buzz about the instrument as well; probably due to the minimising of movable metal parts.
I decided to get Vision titanium strings for my other violin (which I now prefer as an instrument) and there is definitely more clarity on the G, and A. I also prefer the vision strings, especially the D, it has a really sweet sound which I like.
The fine tuners worked well for me when I first started, and the two old violins I have, had not been played for years. Now the strings have settled (along with the violins, the tuning pegs and myself) I can play my first two positions, and compensate for any slight variation in tuning by ear; third and above is still a bit shaky.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you'd learn first and second position, and then the third. That's not the way it's usually done, since the second position is used very little (relatively) and the third is used a great deal. In other words, the process is normally learn first, then third. After third is mastered (the second Wohlfahrt book is devoted to third position), then second is addressed, though occasionally second position is used for some of the scale studies in the Hrimaly. Mostly first and third, however, with extensions.
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
Highlander

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had to stop lessons for now, I have just been playing around by ear and practicing major scales. When I started playing guitar this was how I learned. It must be reminiscent of my guitar learning years, of open strings first then move up fret by fret. But at least I'm staying in tune which is a formidable improvement since my earlier efforts.
ppp. my other violin is sounding great, can you help me recognise what it is, I will post pictures on my "way ahead" thread of both my violins once I get this bluetooth thing to work properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: