Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why cha'not'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: why cha'not' Reply with quote

so jessupe #2 is complete "VAMPIRE KILLER" ..super cool...hope to have pics up soon....its a chanot style body with strad f holes...purfling up the seems{x2} on the front...an extended peg box{for easy access} and the icing on the cake is a no scroll but a "iron cross" with carved depressions painted with real gold paint....0ne 1/2 carat blue sappire sorrounded by 4 1 carat aquamarines set as a cross within the cross....the back of the scroll has carving with a 1 carat aqua on the back...the rib structure is done with a continuos one piece flat sawn WHITE OAK rib and the liners are WHITE OAK AS WELL!!!! the top and back are high qaulity spruce and maple....why white oak you ask.....well because i thought it would sound like crap, so i wanted to find out....wrong....sounds very good.....i would have thought it would have made it have a "rattled" qaulity....contrary it rounds the sound quite nicely...this coupled with my patend'd hour glass shaped bass bar{makes for a nice treble'y g string}it sound very mellow....i have very heavy violins due to thick graduation areas, beefy necks etc....but i've compared them to several high dollar violins...like 50,000 g and up and they sound just as good{in there unique idividual way} lets say comprible.....both new and old violins.....

the more i do this the more this violin stuff reminds me of "de'beers" and "the magic" of diamonds.....yea right.....

anyhoo......so if this amati dynasty is so "right" all the time....expalain the non-logic of the pointed corners?......on a chanot' "wrap" you can always do a one peice rib structure....you save about 2 days of production time....and you don't have those stupid corners for the frog to catch on and or to bump into everything.....are they there just so they can break....give violin repair guys something to do?......

heck make a a brown style mold and you don't even have to trim the interior blocks.....

my schtick is gonna be chanot bodys with anything but a traditional scroll...there so "stylish"....ha

jessupe the anti-violin violin maker....
MANFIO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciao Signor Gosdastini! It seems you are seriously infected by the violin making virus... perhaps you are delirating with fever... ... and I'm sorry to inform you there is no cure for that!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessupe, Can you just imagine how fantastic that violin would sound if you had used maple ribs?! I am told Oak does not resonate very well due to the short grain structure... but then what do I know.... the more I learn the more I realize how little I know.... If I learn any more, pretty soon I will know nothing!
All the best, Mat
Jack H.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corners are there to show the skill and artistry of the maker.
Chanot made the guitar shaped violins to save time and money.
Not much artistry in a cornerless violin, but that is my opinion onlly.
Sound is the most important thing in a violin.
If you think that your's measures up to a $50,000 violin then maybe you will become famous after you pass on.
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manfio there is no cure except death....it is a a race, a game...me against time...i'm shooting for 200 atleast....

matt.....i in general agree....i would say for a top it be a loser for sure....i did use it to specifically experiment with what i would consider the worst type of wood for use, barring mabye ash....but to my supprise it is not bad...perhaps a little different...but not bad....

jack...well ofcourse opinions are just that, and i respect yours...however i would use the comparision of say a ferrari vrs a porshce....the former is much more angular, the latter much more rounded...i perfer the porshe....now while it does eliminate some time...i would not consider that it takes away from the artistry...its just a different visual presentation...and while i mean no disrespect to any of our fine luthiers here or anywhere.... but coming from a guy that lays herringbone floors with boarders with interwining french loops....i don't find matching up 18 miter cuts that "artistic" or difficult for that matter...but i'm not your average bear when it comes to construction and fine finish work.....or spelling for that matter..ha...

now regarding sound and comparision to other violins,either expensive or not....

i have heard 1000 dollar violins sound as good as those that cost 15 times that... i've heard violins that were valued at 10 times the 15 not sound as good as the 15,000....i think price, age, maker fame really have little to do with any one particular instrument will CONTINUE to sound good over time or not.

for example the amati, its valued at , well i don't really know... but its alot...well i know for a fact according to the owner...that its not really a COMPLETE amati...its been chopped and channeld.....as many fine instruments were by evil dealers trying to get a two for one....so who knows who really did the secondary work...and who knows if it matters or not....bottom line, its got enough amati to be called an amati and therefore is worth a buttload....however it don't sound that good..period....

now from a players perspective.....again i've played music for 26 years...and while violin was picked up late...due to my "heavy metal guitar " background violin comes quite naturally....and well having never played a chanot style body... i could never say before....but now i can....IT ALLOWS FOR MUCH MORE FREEDOM WITH THE BOWING ARM......now i love both classical style playing as well as old timey blue grass fiddle playing...i do both perrty ok....and when playing bluegrass....doing agressive cross bowing and "tap" bowing....it sure is nice to not have them thar corners to worry about slappin.....now i'm sure they don't teach it at curtis....but i do occasionally desire a angled stroke...again no corner no problem....

from a teachers perspective....classical music is dying....mabye not that quickly....but dying....slowly...like latin......kinda makes me sick to my stomach....but i/ we must face the facts...so i primarily woirk with younger kids between usually 15- 25....now i play piano /keyboard quite well...i teach music theory/composition/play'ability..and such......quite differently than most.....i'm either complimented for the speed at which i'm able to get certain students to play compitently { the old " i get it"} or teaching those that thought { due to past failures} they could not learn or play well....so what this means is that usually i say....so what kind of music do you like 75% say rap....25% say rock....you ask them about clasical and they go ..hmmm ya well i like some of that stuff but i don't know anything about iut really { the average student}....so then it is now my job to reverse engineer ther minds....so we will work with what they like...what they know....we go to the sequncer...and learn hiphop...we study the stuff they like.....we hear in this dr. dre many repetitive "string" parts....almost like bach for dummys....so slowly we suck them in....using there own taste as a weapon against there own corrupted minds....and slowly we get them to like classical music....be able to identify differnet composers styles nad periods.....which all leads back to the chanot stlye violins with "cool" things ontop instead of a scroll....kids see a traditional violin and they run....give them something with a little "flying v" and they may spark interest just based on the visuals alone....now these are just average kids....if i were to talk about the "well to do" who have been moulded to do this professinal violin playing....i would say many get in to it by being almost forced into it....they learn to love it based on the fact that they become good at something....but still there is something missing.....the musicallity....the classical world is becoming dominated by asian players....it could be said in general...in a non-racist way...that they have a propencity for extreme mastery of technical skill....but some might say there is a certain something missing from both the asian technical masters....and those of other races that gain skill by relizing their parents dream....now these are generalizations...they are not intended to be racist...they are quite simply the facts about classical music today....if josh bell is the closest thing to jacha heifitz we have today were in trouble.....again i guess i'm seeing the future of it all...i would like to stimulate interest in average kids to play stringed music that they would not elsewise play....mabye just cause it looks cool....through this ....mabye one of those average kids could become not so average....all based on the fact that the instrument did NOT look like a traditioanl violin.....they did not get scared away or turned off...they thought to themselves..wow that thing looks cool.....i wanna play that....just like i did when i saw randy rhodes playing a jackson flying -v all those years ago....if you were to go back and look at just why so many great russian jews became good vioinist....it was because it was part of the culture....musicallity was in the blood....russia ain;'t what it used to be.....gone are all the nights dancing around the campfire with the entire family playing......and now gone are all the great russian violinist.......of course in general.......

common jack don't let the music die.....do it for the kids.....get rid of the corners....hahahahaha.......just kididng
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: