Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is everyone and what are you all playing these days?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvsutton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being inspired by the recent Sherlock Holmes movie...Rocky Road to Dublin...one of my favorite irish tunes...
on #13 now...
Amalia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: lastest effort Reply with quote

Lately I've been working on the Dvorak "Romance" in F. Love that piece. I love the way Perlman plays it. I found a Youtube video of him playing it (which has since been removed) and I went through my music and changed the bowings to mimic his, and it's SOOOOO much easier to handle. Next I'm going to examine the shifts and see if Mr. Perlman can give me some guidance there too. I guess I'll have to do that by listening to the CD since they've removed the video from youtube. Overall, my ear training over the last year or so has really helped me with this piece.
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley wrote:
Wow, Amalia - good for you! What determination - I'm impressed, and since I have a bow that is not perhaps as cantankerous as yours (what a fun description!) I will try a little harder now. This is a good bow, but heavy.

But for a good French bow, it was obviously worth the trouble to you - it sounds as though you have not only solved the problem, but have come out on top. I'm inspired to try harder. Thank you!

See ya around! Shirley

Hi Shirley and Amalia,
Maybe a good, new bow is what I need to help me this coming week.
I start my violin lessons back again, after an absence of six weeks. My
music teacher has been on vacation, and I sort of took one myself, with
hardly any practice at all. I picked up my violin today to run through a
few scales. It felt like a stranger, and the bow handled like a snake.
Have you ever had this experience?
Amalia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have not played for awhile, I don't rush. I start by just playing open strings, 2 at a time, very slowly with my eyes close, just feeling and listening. I feel for steadiness and evenness - no sideways slipping. I make sure my elbow is up high enough (not too high). I listen for scratchiness and uneven louds and softs from frog to tip. I do that for a bit until things beging to fit together.

Then I start playing something very slowly listening for exact intonation, etc, etc. Just taking a few minutes to do this cuts out about 30 minutes or more of "warm up".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: