Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book Review by Lionel Rolfe: Connie's Violin Page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Book Review by Lionel Rolfe: Connie's Violin Page Reply with quote

Book Review by Lionel Rolfe: Connie's Violin Page: Internet resources for string players, teachers, parents and students; available in paperback, Kindle and Mobipocket.

Connie Sunday's "Connie's Violin Page" is wonderful not only for its exhaustive compilation of Internet resources for string players, teachers, parents and students, but also for its wonderful and pithy commentary on the instrument and its practitioners.

I had always wondered about what the difference between a fiddle and a violin was.

I watched my uncle, Yehudi Menuhin, play a mean fiddle with the best of them, from Ravi Shankar to Stephane Grappelli to Gypsy fiddlers in Rumania and country fiddlers in America. They were all great fiddlers. Yet when Yehudi played the Beethoven Violin Concerto or the solo Bach partitas, he was called a violinist, not a fiddler, even though there was still much of the "fiddler" in his interpretations. Which, by the way, were the best ever done.

What Connie tells us is that there isn't much difference between a fiddle and a violin.

There were string instruments that were bowed for a long long time, but the instrument known as the violin, or the fiddle, didn't really exist before 1600, she tells us. The best moment of the book comes when she introduces a '60s Counter Culture take on the instrument, but I won't give it away.

You got to read it.

Lionel Rolfe is the author of "The Menuhins: A Family Odyssey," "The Uncommon Friendship of Yaltah Menuhin and Willa Cather" and other books, available on www.boryanabooks.com.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Violin or Fiddle Reply with quote

I've heard, the difference between a violin and a fiddle is attitude.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: