Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cellitar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: cellitar Reply with quote

so as i get into this stringed instrument making stuff, the more i see my place....its not in the classical music realm.....so with this in mind...i'm going to develope a new type of instrument.....or try to....so here it is..think jimmy page, "song remains the same".....

its gonna be a a small archtop chello/guitar.....made to be played on the lap, like a guitar....it will have pick-ups both standard humbuckers, and a set of steinberg pick ups.....it will have six strings, be tuned as a guitar, have a sound post, have a arched finger board not as exterme as a standard violin or chello...but the real magic is going to be the "micro pick/bow....a small hair bow {about 7 inches} that has a "thumbhole" slides over the thumb has a "pinky hook" for the pinky to hook around and the under the thumbhole is a built in guitar pick....basicalliy the bowpick can be used as a standard pick and then imediatly be used as a bow......with the arch in the finger board and tailpiece it should allow for adiqute bow angle.....hmmm sound kinda crazy....but worse that can happen is expensive firewood....
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessupe... I enjoy the classical perspective of violins.... but then I love an original thinker!.... post some pics when you can!
Cheers, Mat
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking of a 4 string guitar with a cello string length and tuning and no frets...
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess in perspective....i'm not that old....i was one who came to classical style music via rock music during my adolescents in the 80's...i consider myself a non-musical racisist....ie ....i do not have a era timeline that i enjoy exclusively, nor do i have a style that i enjoy exclusively, related to music....in fact i "force" myself, or feel it important to remain in touch with music that is being played and listened to currently, regardless of style...and always try to find something i like in it....regardless of lyrical content....which can be sometimes hard to do....again related to my post in reply to the corners, i do feel that it important to stimulate excitement in "regular students/people} regarding playing "strung" music.....if video killed the radio star....it could be said that the guitar killed the violin....again in my opinion, based on musical sterotypes driven by "both sides"....when we choose a "style" of music that we like, thats great....however we become exclusive with our tastes based on social tendencies, we put up a wall and slow musical progress and evolution.....we can all imagine differetnt styles of music, we then imediatley start imagineing the "types" of people that listen to "that" kind of music....this is not a good thing.....it is a terrible thing to me that from around the turn of the century musical affinity has been used as a tool of separation....to define who you are, what you like and therefore catagorize the "type" of person you are.....in my day there were

1. heavy meatal guys
2.punks
3.new wavers
4. rednecks
5. and the music that the ethnic groups were listening too....hiphop was in its infancy
6. the classical nerds

and at that point we then catagorize the people that listen to there said preference and there we have the begining of the stupid monkey syndrome....

now ofcourse i will always throw in the caveat" in general"....

last month or so ago, when i was at the synphony....i was counting heads......oh' there were plenty of people there, but sadly if i stood up and shouted......everyone over 40 leave the room".....and they then left.....i feel it would be myself and a handfull of people left in the building....this is a crime....and i know the musical director knows it....."what can we do to increase attendence?....what can we do to get younger people here?".....well with music education on the backburner for many areas....you tell me....

so this all comes full circle to the "CHELLITAR"{spelled it wrong in the post}

so i'm pretty in touch with whats going on in the "rock" world with the kids today....and i would even say its taken a hard hit....but i do feel that a combo guitar/chello....or true bow'able/ pick'able instrument that is electrified may stimulate intrest.....

if everone in the violin world strives to do the same thing, it will never evolve....

from david rivinus, g. edward{ dahlia5}, ned stienberg, and many of he fine electric makers... i feel they have NOT put their imaginations in the drawer and shut it.....

there will always be a market for the fine "cremona" violins....but i feel the market is saturated, and potentialy "dodo dangerous" to itself....

what if jimmy page actually had a guitar that he could have bowed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: