Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New String Day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caeman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: New String Day! Reply with quote

Phew! Smile

The changing of the strings of an instrument. I re-strung my fiddle today while watching the Bengals game. A fiddle only has four strings and they are really easy to change, but I was still sweating bullets! I kept having this vision of the fiddle folding in half and my eye getting taken out by a broken string.

But, it is done. The Red Labels are off, the Preludes are on. The fiddle sounds great! Is it just that “new string smell” illusion, or can a set of strings really make that much of a difference in sound?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chad,

Welcome back. How are you progressing in your violin playing?

On occasion, I would notice a new set of same brand strings have a brighter or more intense sound. It could be because a new set a strings may have higher tension to begin with and then gets broken in like a new pair of leather shoes. It's a question I have not asked before.

What sort of sound difference did you perceive?
caeman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new strings have a much clear, louder tone to them. The Red Labels were only 1 yr old, so I wouldn't have thought that such a young age they have become dull. Now, the switch to a completely different brand, an well-known brand at that, would certainly explain the improvement in the sound.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will most definitely get changes in sound when changing to different brands.

Manufacturers use all sorts of natural and synthetic materials to make strings these days. All have there own unique sound characteristics. Then you have different tensions (light, medium and heavy) available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: