Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on reading music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nadzz37

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Advice on reading music Reply with quote

I started violin a couple of weeks ago now and I am currently trying to teach myself reading music.

Ive only realized this in the past year, but I think I finally figured out why I struggled reading music as a teen.

For me, to read the sheet music of a song I know means nothing because I will play the song off from memory. My violin teacher has stopped playing the piano when we are having lessons when he realized that I rely on my ear and not on what I read. I think I might have near perfect pitch though dunno really what defines that. Ive pretty much grew up with Classical Music before I went to high school.

Surprisingly, violin is easier and more logical than a guitar.

Anycase, right now Im looking for songs like ba ba black sheep, something easy and simple but unfamiliar to me. Thats the only way I can think of to learn to read music. By using unfamiliar sheet music.

Any other suggestions? And please link me to sites you think might be usefull! Ive googled, but havent really found anything that might help.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s good to hear you are learning to read music.

Here are a couple of websites I have found where you can download free sheet music. They break them down into levels as well.

http://www.8notes.com/violin_sheet_music.asp
http://www.free-scores.com/

I have also used hymnbooks. There are many beautiful and simple songs. There are usually four parts to a hymn – soprano and alto which use the treble clef, and tenor and bass which use the bass clef. The soprano part is the top most notes in the treble clef and the ones you would play.

I encourage you to make sure the habit of correct bow hold/stroke and violin hold is established subconsciously, that you are without tension or pain, so that when you are reading music, your mind will not be distracted to these things. The sound of the music is most effected by tension.
Chad48309

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never underestimate the importance of sight-reading and the ability to read music fluidly and quickly. It's a tremendous workout for your brain and an integral part of any classical training.

When I was in school, our music instructor would devote half the class time to sight-reading, and we were all better musicians for it. The ability to receive a sheet of music and be able to play it instantly is an important tool for any musician.
caeman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If reading music is new to you, be patient. Practice a little each day. Find some sheet music and during your lunch, practice transcribing into letters. When you have an instrument, find some simple songs to practice sight-reading.
ollieken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: links Reply with quote

Hi this may help someone I am having problums trying to read notes
even with tabulture . I can learn to play tunes by hearing them if i like them if i dont forget it Ken

http://www.theviolincase.com/flashcards/

http://datadragon.com/education/reading/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: