Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 technique questions from a mid-level player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siren71

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: 2 technique questions from a mid-level player Reply with quote

Hi!
It's been a long time since I've had violin lessons, but I still play - and have developed some bad habits... Here are 2 problems I'd love some tips on:

1) I occasionally make the E string "squeek." (Not sure how else to describe the high-pitched harmonic-like sound). It mostly occurs when I sweep the bow across all 4 strings and end on the E string. I can't figure out what I'm doing that's causing this. Any ideas?

2) I habitually play in either 1st or 3rd position - but I'd like to go up a little higher. I'm not sure what approach to take... Is there a position I should practice in which is commonly used (ex., 5th position being common, but 6th being rare)? Or should I stop thinking about positions higher up on the fingerboard and mostly concentrate on notes and scales? Any advice on moving above 3rd position?

Many thanks!!
Chad48309

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you're using a wound E, it helps. First and foremost, make sure you're precisely perpendicular to the string. It can be easy to slip onto a diagonal when you do a run like that.
AntonPolezhayev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- Everyone makes e whistle sometimes. Use 4th finger when crossing over when possible Smile Better be safe than sorry. Obviously you should also have your violin and bow checked and adjusted by a high level professional repairman, and experiment with different strings and rosin, as well as experiment with bow pressure and timing when you cross to the e.

2- practice 1-finger 1-octave scales on one string. Take your favorite song and play it with one finger on one string instead of in one position with 4 fingers. Gently curve around the fingerboard, get to know it. Practice octaves etc. Use a Hrimaly scales book.
siren71

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all great advice.
Thanks!
If anyone else wants to weigh in - especially on using higher positions, that would be great. I'd like to know a little more about which positions are most standard...
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I get the whistling E from time to time, and it happens mainly when crossing over with the same bow stroke (a slur), whether up or down. What I have found very helpful is to accentuate the E with a little more, but very short pressure of the bow, much like you are accentuating the beginning of the first beat in each measure of music.

For positions, I found "Sevcik School of Technic for Violin, Op. 1, Part III, Exercises for the change of positions", to be most helpful.
RuthBrons

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The squeaky E string can be blamed on so many things --
bad string, barometric pressure, errant flesh touching the string, etc.

Classic advice is to jar the stubborn string into vibration by deliberately skewing the angle of the bow and adding extra bow pressure when first entering the string.

But, what I found with my students who have a stubborn recurring squeak, especially when slurring into an E string on a down bow, is that the bow hand/arm remembered to lower into the E string, but forgot keep the bow totally parallel to the bridge. Thus the bow has wandered too far to the fingerboard and there is not enough pressure to get the string to sing properly.

Best Wishes,
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a really good thread on squeaky E string (whistling E) that is worth reading.

http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=17192
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time experimenting and was able to duplicate or produce the whistling E sound at will. I was using a Pirastro steel E on my violin.

After changing the E string to the "Pirastro #1 Non-Whistling E string", I am unable to duplicate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: