Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introductory message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anewday

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Introductory message Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm Alana. I'm an adult who has just started to learn the violin. Shocked I have played piano, though not particularly well for years and have decided the violin may be more my style, though I have yet to see any evidence to support this hopeful assumption.

Advice, information, inspiration and details of useful internet links would be most appreciated.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

Alana
RuthBrons

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Alana.

Your keyboard background will really help you with learning your left hand finger placements, in terms of really knowing where the whole and half steps are.

But don't forget to keep an eye out for opportunities to play with others -- violins love to play together!

Best Wishes,

Ruth Brons
Things 4 Strings[tm] bow hold accessories
www.Things4Strings.com
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alana,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for introducing yourself.

I agree with RuthBrons. The keyboard is a good instrument to learn reading music and music theory and will definitely benefit your violin playing. There are also many violin and piano pieces. Knowing the keyboard will help you play your violin in sync.

Listening to my favorite violin music and watching videos of great violinists keeps me inspired to continue playing and exploring. I get a lot of videos from amazon.com.

Do you have a violin teacher. I strongly recommend you get a qualified teacher from the start. It will set the foundation of your playing. Your local university's music department will be able to point you in the right direction.
Anewday

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lemuel and Bron,

Thanks very much for your replies.

I do have a music teacher, whom I'm quite happy and comfortable with right now. Knowing how badly you can play piano and develop bad habits (that are very hard to break), without a teacher, I wouldn't really contemplate starting without one.

Now that I am practicing regularly I am finding that I am picking things up relatively quickly because of the piano background. And I am enjoying learning more than I enjoyed the piano because I have far fewer new musical variables to try to integrate at once.

I recently broke a string on my violin - which is a cheap violin that I am not all that attached to - and I have actually been thinking about treating myself to a new violin rather than just getting a new string. I appreciate the richer sound quality of better violins, and I like the idea of having a violin I could use for many years to come.

Do you have any favourite violins that retail for around the $700 to 1000 mark? I guess there are infinite varieties and brands but I am curious about what everyone would buy if they were buying one in this range.

Any input welcomed.

Many thanks,

Lana
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I recently broke a string on my violin - which is a cheap violin that I am not all that attached to - and I have actually been thinking about treating myself to a new violin rather than just getting a new string.

One day, I'll think about treating myself this way also. Surprised

It's good you want a violin that you could use for many years to come. More than likely every person will give you a different favorite violin and why. You may want to start out instead by asking what sort of sound you would like to have? What sort of music do you want to play? Are you thinking of performing? Orchestra or solo?

Some violins sound warmer or more feminine than others. Some sound more brilliant (as metallic), or more bright (as wood). Some have more projection or carrying power - an important factor for solo performance.

What sort of appearance do you want your violin to have? Amber or Reddish Brown,...etc color? Do you want it with antique look?

It's sort of like shopping for a car. There are certain features you need or want in a vehicle (and of course appearance).

Once you have a good idea of what you want, ask your teacher to come with you if possible to visit your local luthier or violin shop. This is what I would do, especially if you are going to pick out a violin that you " could use for many years to come."

Keep also in mind that violins also change in sound and response depending on what sort of strings are used, the quality of your bow and rosin.

I hope this helps.
Anewday

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: treating ourselves Reply with quote

Thanks Lemuel,

You've answered my question beautifully.

I'm going to wait until I know more and can play better before treating myself with a new instrument. I'll just eat a whole chocolate cake in the meantime.

Right now I could rightly expect a quick death if some nut told me at gunpoint that my life depended on showing him my capacity to identify the kind of subtle sound distinctions you're talking about.

Also I don't have a clue what kind of sound I would like to make...except that I plan to be a fiddler rather than a classic violinist, and I would one day like to make a sound that doesn't provoke the same visceral reaction in listeners as the head of a shovel being dragged hard along concrete.

All I know is that notes on my teacher's instrument sound infinitely better than mine (and I'm convinced that it is not only because she can play it!) and my late grandfather's instrument which my mother has, (made by Alvin Paulus) sounds far better too. And that maybe, maybe if I had a better instrument my playing would sound much more musical....

On reflection I really don't deserve a treat just yet....I ought to wait until I have some real development under my belt and reward myself then.

Thanks for the input.

Lana
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: