Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F-holes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulerias1981

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: F-holes Reply with quote

Hi all.. a few questions on F-holes.

Do you guys use this to cut out the rounded holes?

http://www.dick-gmbh.de/ and the item number is 701110

What methods do you guys use to cut out nice F holes? I've seen Gliga carve it with a knife, while others use coping saws.
Cliff Green

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: F Holes Reply with quote

With 20 instruments built I don't have as much experience as many who post here, but here are my experiences and methods for f holes.
I first used #ll scaple blades to cut the entire f hole, but they are too flexible. I now use the herdim cutters you mentioned to do the end holes and japanese knives of similar shape to the #11 to do the arms. I start the arms with drill holes conected with a coping saw to remove the bulk of material. The herdim hole cutters give a very nice finished hole but you really have to make sure that the reeds of the spruce don't shift your pilot holes. I've had to use mousetail files to nudge the pilot hole. To position the f holes I use a typical clear plastic template.
I'm aware that some makers use brad point drill bits to cut their holes but I've never been brave enough to take a drill press or hand drill to a nearly completed top.
Good luck,
Cliff
MANFIO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 3 last instruments, I followed a tip given by Michael Darnton. In order to get a good position for the f holes in the archings (as observed in profile) I cut them prior to hollow the top using a saw, then I finish with a knife. I use files to make the eyes round, sometimes with sandpaper wraped on them. Then I make some adjustments in the arching around the f holes. Then I hollow it.

Some eyes are not perfectly round, as in the case of Del Gesù and da Salò instruments.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Cliff Green

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfio,
I agree, though I do my rough hollowing before I cut the f hole leaving about 5mm at the hole area. I've always found it difficult to retain the arching shape, f hole position and get f holes that are parallel to the ribs in the side view. Cutting the holes and then adjusting the arching slighly at the f holes makes everything a lot easier. As usual, Michael Darnton was right on the mark! I sure miss his participation, but he's too much of a forum junky to stay away very long.
Cliff
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a millwaukke magnum hammer drill set on "regular" drill mode....i put my plates on the ground....step on them....drill a small pilot hole....then the larger hole just under size....i then procced to cut the remainder out with my bosch jig saw...with the proper blade on non -orbital mode....no chipping no blow out just quick perfect precise cuts.....triple tape layer on the plate.....then i clean up the cuts an holes with sandpaper rolled up...very contractor'y of me....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: