Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you know what scale the person is playing a tune in?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:

My reason for bringing it up was just that I was learning 'Ode to Joy' recently and found it easier to 'play it by ear' than by learning from the book; although I've found both useful since as they are different references of the same stuff and one compliments the other what what I've noticed so far.

What did the key signature look like on the staves? (How many sharps and flats)?
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about sharps and flats but they were nearly all in the usual brackets...

I just realized something cool doing a 4th finger study exercise...I noticed that the 4th finger position is the same as the open string on the next string up.

So looking at the different scales and it says say A major scale then it just means that is what string you start on right?
Benedict White

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by in the usual brackets?

Which notes are sharp or flat determines which key (or scale) you are playing in, and the reason why you may find it easier by ear is that the music you have may be in an odd scale, perhaps designed to be easier to play. I have found things like the last movement of Beethoven's 9th (Ode to joy) in many scales.

Different scales start on different notes, sometimes that corresponds to strings most of the time it does not. So for example, A Major in two octaves starts on the G string (First finger position on the G is an A) and goes to the 3rd finger of the E string.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: