Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How easy is it to jam/freestyle on the violin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: How easy is it to jam/freestyle on the violin? Reply with quote

How easy is it to jam/freestyle on the violin compared to other instruments?

Someone told me it's harder to do on violin cos you can't do chords as easily.

I had a flatmate once who played instruments and he'd encourage me to jam on the sitar and he had another european instrument which was similar.

That wasn't too difficult.

So can this easily be done on violin or not? I saw a youtube vid of a guy doing it but he was really advanced so I wasn't sure if it would be realistic for me to do so at this time.

I really like the idea of just having a jam cos it has pure fun in mind and getting lost in the rhythms which is what I think music is all about.

Sure the best way to find out is to try...but any tips if it is realistically doable at my level?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: How easy is it to jam/freestyle on the violin? Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
How easy is it to jam/freestyle on the violin compared to other instruments?

Someone told me it's harder to do on violin cos you can't do chords as easily.

I had a flatmate once who played instruments and he'd encourage me to jam on the sitar and he had another european instrument which was similar.

That wasn't too difficult.

So can this easily be done on violin or not? I saw a youtube vid of a guy doing it but he was really advanced so I wasn't sure if it would be realistic for me to do so at this time.

I really like the idea of just having a jam cos it has pure fun in mind and getting lost in the rhythms which is what I think music is all about.

Sure the best way to find out is to try...but any tips if it is realistically doable at my level?

It is not a matter of what type of instrument you play. If you know your instrument (where the notes are) regardless of what instrument it is, and have a good ear, you can jam freestyle.

Coming up with variations to a melody on the fly is akin to jamming freestyle. As mentioned, there are many ways to play a melody. It has nothing to do with chords.

Believe it or not, the best way I found which helped me develop hearing (to hear the harmony and know an appropriate accompaniment) was to join a choir. I first started by isolating the bass part and soon discovered a pattern. Then I learned to hear the alto. Finally I worked on the tenor voice.
Chad48309

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Improvisational skill is born out of dedication to theory and practice, conscious or otherwise."

My old jazz instructor used to tell us that. The best leg-up you could give yourself if you're hoping to hone your improvisation skills is to learn all the modes, scales, and progressions that you possibly can.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye I think this is prob out of reach for me for a while cos it seems I will have to know my way around what sounds good and what doesn't in terms of the notes to play which I do not.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad48309 wrote:
"Improvisational skill is born out of dedication to theory and practice, conscious or otherwise."

My old jazz instructor used to tell us that. The best leg-up you could give yourself if you're hoping to hone your improvisation skills is to learn all the modes, scales, and progressions that you possibly can.

It's interesting that I've met people who have gone through the gamut of learning theory, scales and progressions, but they cannot hear in order to improvise. In other words, they can sight read and memorize music well. They are technically capable, but their creative artistic skills are limited. If you ask them to play a tune that they know, but have never "read" and "practiced" on sheet music, they cannot do it, and if they do, it is plain and basic.

In contrast, I am constantly in touch with someone who has not gone through any formal training, but has the ability to artistically improvise and create. However, give him a piece of music to sight read, he won't be able to do it.

Nevertheless, it is good to have the best of both worlds.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that Vangelis is the same and pretended he was reading the sheet music to pass his music exam when really he was playing by ear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: