Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin making schools ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yew Piney Fiddler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Violin making schools ? Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to the form, this is my first post. I have been giving a lot of thought to going to a Violin making school here in the US. Making and repairing is something I would really like to do. I thought a school would be the best way?
I live in rural WV and there are no professional makers to talk to. So I thought this form would be a good place to start.
I would like some members thoughts on this. Would this be the best way to learn? The only information I have on the schools are what's on there website. Dose anybody have any thought or opinions on which school would be a good one to attend? Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Daniel
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your message box
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fiddler;

While it's certainly not the only way to obtain good training, finding a shop that will take on someone without training these days is challenging. I started with school, and found that the initial training gave me access to much better choices (of who to work for) after graduation.

None of the schools offer much more than rudimentary restoration training... although you may be able to augment the school experience by finding work with an existing shop in the area. Who you choose to work with after school will really determine what you are able to learn in that particular area. What schools do offer are the necessary basics in tool handling, construction, and design. A great foundation.

If at all possible, I'd suggest taking the time to visit the three major schools (Chicago, Salt Lake, and Boston) so you can get a clear picture of the programs and meet the staff. I'm on the board of directors for the Chicago school... and although I'm fond of our school, I'd say each school it's own advantages. Look for a good “fit”.

http://holmesviolins.com
Yew Piney Fiddler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Violin making schools Reply with quote

Hi Jeff;

Thank you for your post. North Bennet was on the top of my list. Simply because it takes financial aid. Which it turns out to be the most expensive school.

The Chicago school looked good also. I wanted a school that at least did some basic repair. I know the Chicago school offers more advanced repair later in the course.

So much to consider.
Thank you for your help.
mikemolnar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Violin Making Schools Reply with quote

Check out the apprenticeship program at The Chimneys in Boiling Springs, PA, which is not too far from WVa.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the # big making schools in the US I would stay away from Salt LAke City.
I have had many conversations withgraduates from there and ... well.... none of them recommend it.

I went to a one year program in violin repair at Red Wing Community College and then did my apprenticeship at my father's shop.
The shool gave me a good base to learn from.
They teach basic repair/setup/rehairing techniques, enough to learn and to go to a shop and to begin to be of use to them.
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a graduate of the chicago school of violin making. as far as i know, the boston school has had some issues with their programs and instructors over the last few years. also, think of where it is located in boston and the cost of living there. extremely expensive unless you want to commute, even then.....the owner of the salt lake city sent his own son to go to school at the chicago school of violin making. he was a few semesters behind me. we never could figure out why he was going to chicago unstead of salt lake city....anyway. the more advanced teacher at chicago school is named fred thompson. he is an amazing instructor. he is also very good with repairs. he use to co-own a shop for many years and now he does repair on his own along with teaching at the school. he will spend extra time with you outside of class if you are interrested in learning advanced repairs and will let you do some practice work during school hours. a very kind and intellegant man. with that said...best for you to just visit each school and see what your overall impression is. good luck!!!
Ken Pollard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a graduate of any violin-making school. Self-taught, but attending workshops when I can.

Living in Utah at the time, I did look at the Salt Lake school in the mid 70s, but the tuition cost was out of my range, so I went to the University of Utah and studied physics. Now I'm back to violins, and thinking I should have looked more closely at the schools when I was younger

And I have no fondness nor antagonism towards the Salt Lake school. Having said that, though, I'd take it as a good sign that the son of the Salt Lake school was sent to Chicago. It's good to get different points of view. Learn how other people do things.

Also, being self-taught mostly, I'd say if you have a chance to attend a school, it's certainly something to consider. There are so many things that are difficult to put into writing, but wonderful to see in person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: