Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Links for more interesting yet still easyish sheet music?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

Learning with others motivates and is always more fun. Were you thinking in a classroom setting or learning remotely with others like a chatroom?
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think real life would be good for me, since I'm rather reclusive so violin would be a good excuse to mingle I guess.

Or maybe a few lessons.

Do they do group lessons like they do say with martial arts?

Spose I'll have to check my city specifically but just wondered if there was some official name for them if such things exist to narrow it down.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your local arts and/or music center would be able to tell you about any class or group instruction for stringed instruments. Check the music department of any college or university as well.

I'm glad you are thinking in this direction. It really helps to get exposure to as many people as possible in this field. I have found great players all having their unique way of playing music. It comes down to what comes natural for you (achieving balance and relaxation with minimum effort while playing).

I wish you much success.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks; another query.

I reread your hand position thing with pics today.

I've also been watching some vids on it but I'm still not sure how my hand is supposed to be positioned but specifically where it's supposed to land. I think I get where it;s supposed to rest the neck in the notches of the V shape etc.

I mean following your pics I changed my position now to follow the pics but I'm not sure how my fingers are supposed to be landing on the strings- whilst still keeping this form.

Also another issue I have is I found in this position my wrist is actually wresting in the base of the neck to 'prop' up the violin. I presume I'm not supposed to be doing this but I found it rather awkward and unnatural feeling when I moved it away.

My arm feels really craned around in this position and my bicep seems to hurt after a minute or so like this atm whereas I didn't have that issue before.

On a positive I seem to be able to slur notes easier like this although was having a harder time slurring from A string to D string since it was stretching my arm unnaturally.

Am I supposed to move my hand around?

Actually do you have a camera? what would be really useful is just seeing you do the scales with the correct positioning then I can use it as reference cos I think it will get really complex to try and explain it over text alone.

I watched a video which said the fingers should land on the left side of the finger on the strings but it wasn't too clear to me what that meant.

Alternatively just tell me what the correct term for this would be so I can lookup youtube vids. I looked up 'fingering' but the vids I saw did not go into this except that one I saw. Haven't watched them all yet though.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
Thanks; another query.

I reread your hand position thing with pics today.

I've also been watching some vids on it but I'm still not sure how my hand is supposed to be positioned but specifically where it's supposed to land. I think I get where it;s supposed to rest the neck in the notches of the V shape etc.

I mean following your pics I changed my position now to follow the pics but I'm not sure how my fingers are supposed to be landing on the strings- whilst still keeping this form.

Also another issue I have is I found in this position my wrist is actually wresting in the base of the neck to 'prop' up the violin. I presume I'm not supposed to be doing this but I found it rather awkward and unnatural feeling when I moved it away.

My arm feels really craned around in this position and my bicep seems to hurt after a minute or so like this atm whereas I didn't have that issue before.

On a positive I seem to be able to slur notes easier like this although was having a harder time slurring from A string to D string since it was stretching my arm unnaturally.

Am I supposed to move my hand around?

Actually do you have a camera? what would be really useful is just seeing you do the scales with the correct positioning then I can use it as reference cos I think it will get really complex to try and explain it over text alone.

I watched a video which said the fingers should land on the left side of the finger on the strings but it wasn't too clear to me what that meant.

Alternatively just tell me what the correct term for this would be so I can lookup youtube vids. I looked up 'fingering' but the vids I saw did not go into this except that one I saw. Haven't watched them all yet though.

I'm glad you are trying the natural violin left hand position. Once obtained, your progress will progress exponentially. It will be awkward at first (feeling the twist of your arm), but your mind (habit) will get adjusted.

The main point is to bring the left palm facing more the neck of the violin to support or bring closer the weakest fingers of your left hand - the pinky and ring finger.

(I'll go over where the fingers should land in a moment).

You brought up a good point about how far the neck should be into the V shape of the thumb and index of the left hand. Think of your fingers as hammers, with the fulcrum or pivot at the largest knuckle closest to the back of the wrist. It would make sense for this knuckle to be somewhere higher than the fingerboard. Picture yourself hammering a nail on a piece of board. Your shoulders would be higher than the board and not below it. Please let me know if you understand this analogy.

Bringing the violin neck deeper into the "V shape" raises the height of the largest knuckle. However, bringing the knuckles too high will reduce the hammer like action of the fingers on the strings (because the fingers start to hang from the knuckles). Again use the hammer/board analogy above to help you visualize this. The key is to find the knuckle height that will give you the best leverage. My knuckles are slightly above the height of the fingerboard and that is how far my violin neck goes into the V shape.

In regards to your left arm and wrist, the whole left harm should be vertical (hanging) to the ground. This is the relaxed position. The wrist should not be touching the base of the neck to prop it up. There should actually be a straight line from the largest knuckle down to your elbow. With the proper left hand position, I actually find my violin neck resting more on the left thumb.

By the way, are you using a shoulder rest attached to the back of the violin?

Now in regards to where the fingers should land, as they come down, the string should touch the left side close to the tip of the finger pad.

I will try to get a video clip and expand more on the violin left hand position. Are you able to post photos of your hand position?
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can get my camera working to post pics.

No I don't use the shoulder rest but from looking at others and seeing how it is without, it seems like it would make a big diff. I've seen videos where they say that you should grab the violin and have it's weight held fully by the neck/shoulder. Now this is well and dandy with a shoulder rest from the looks of things (the particular person making the video was using a shoulder rest) however without I find it very unsteady and awkward to do simply due to the lack of surface area*.

*As an aside I was recently watching a 'street fiddler' play and noticed that he had the fiddle positioned with the right side of the instrument clutched by his head/shoulder rather than the standard left (still on the same side though).

So I think that is why my wrist is propping up some of the weight cos I've found I haven't been able to clutch the violin properly without a rest to hold it's full weight.

On an unrelated note I have become self conscious about playing now since my neighbor complained which has stifled my practice somewhat . So I'm going to get a heavy duty mute so I can play without worrying about this issue. I would like to be able to play several times a day when taking a break from my computer but the sound issue had been hindering me so that is something which I want to rectify ASAP. Is the sound much worse with the mute? regardless I am gonna use one cos it is better than not practicing/or practicing badly due to being too self conscious.

One more thing... are the different positions hard to learn? I'm sure it varies but I have been looking at several beginner to intermediate books of classical solos but the ones I've looked at seem to go to other positions. I am learning an intermediate book now- abc's book 2 (but all are in 1st position in it) so would those be much harder given that they are still intermediate- they say intermediate or grade 2/3.

I was looking through some books in my music shop today and the pieces seemed comprehensible enough -pretty much the same as the ABC's book- except for that a few of the notes crept above 1st position which is what put me off buying them. So if it's just for a few notes would it be much harder to learn these other positions? I'm thinking maybe I should start now since most of these pieces are moving into other positions and they say they are beginner-intermediate anyhow so I imagine they couldn't be too much more of a stretch.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:

No I don't use the shoulder rest but from looking at others and seeing how it is without, it seems like it would make a big diff. I've seen videos where they say that you should grab the violin and have it's weight held fully by the neck/shoulder. Now this is well and dandy with a shoulder rest from the looks of things (the particular person making the video was using a shoulder rest) however without I find it very unsteady and awkward to do simply due to the lack of surface area*.

*As an aside I was recently watching a 'street fiddler' play and noticed that he had the fiddle positioned with the right side of the instrument clutched by his head/shoulder rather than the standard left (still on the same side though).

So I think that is why my wrist is propping up some of the weight cos I've found I haven't been able to clutch the violin properly without a rest to hold it's full weight....

I actually play completely without any shoulder rest or pad now. Without the information and encouragement from Anton, I would not have started and continued to play without shoulder rest. It took me a month (with some sore spots on the collar bone) to completely get rid of it. A special much thinner shoulder rest and chinrest clamp pad designed by forum member Amezcua from UK also helped in the transition. I am able to play completely without pain or discomfort now. Here are the last posts between us:

http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=799&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

and

http://www.violins.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1130

There are pros and cons for using shoulder rest. There are great players for both.

Basically a shoulder rest allows the whole left arm and hand to move around freely without holding the violin. It is the weight of the head on the violin that holds it in place. The disadvantage is that your head is not as free to move, and many players also experience neck strain because they press their head too hard on the chinrest rather than let the natural weight of the head do the work.

For years I played with shoulder rest without pain or strain. When I got into selling violins, I had to play many violins during setup. I found it a nuisance to take off and put on the shoulder rest from violin to violin. When I saw Anton's posts on playing without shoulder rest, I was sold on it.

The advantage of playing without shoulder rest is that your head is free to move. Also the vibrations of the violin are not dampened by the shoulder rest. The disadvantage is as you have discovered, the left arm is not as free.

Ode to Tragedy wrote:

On an unrelated note I have become self conscious about playing now since my neighbor complained which has stifled my practice somewhat . So I'm going to get a heavy duty mute so I can play without worrying about this issue. I would like to be able to play several times a day when taking a break from my computer but the sound issue had been hindering me so that is something which I want to rectify ASAP. Is the sound much worse with the mute? regardless I am gonna use one cos it is better than not practicing/or practicing badly due to being too self conscious.

That's rather unfortunate. Tell me something....do you hear loud rock music anywhere during the day from any neighboring apartments? Does he complain about that also? Are you playing inside a closed room? Does he still hear this?

A mute definitely reduces the volume, but it distorts the natural beauty of the violin sound.

Ode to Tragedy wrote:

One more thing... are the different positions hard to learn? I'm sure it varies but I have been looking at several beginner to intermediate books of classical solos but the ones I've looked at seem to go to other positions. I am learning an intermediate book now- abc's book 2 (but all are in 1st position in it) so would those be much harder given that they are still intermediate- they say intermediate or grade 2/3.

I was looking through some books in my music shop today and the pieces seemed comprehensible enough -pretty much the same as the ABC's book- except for that a few of the notes crept above 1st position which is what put me off buying them. So if it's just for a few notes would it be much harder to learn these other positions? I'm thinking maybe I should start now since most of these pieces are moving into other positions and they say they are beginner-intermediate anyhow so I imagine they couldn't be too much more of a stretch.

You'll need to learn two main skills in playing in other positions. The first is shifting and the second is glissando.

Again, Anton opened my mind to the advantages of using glissando technique to play in other positions. As a teacher, I would have started students off on ordinary shifting using scales and arpeggios. Now I find the glissando technique not only easier, but it is a short cut to learning shifting and establishing intonation. As a matter of fact, once you establish the glissando technique, the shifting part is automatically established. When I shift now, I just see it as a form of glissando.

I quote Anton's post here.

AntonPolezhayev wrote:

Only on A-string play using only 1st finger a note B in 1st position, shift to C in second position (all with only 1st finger), then back to B in 1st position, then go to D in third position, back to B, then E in 4th position etc etc etc. Go ALL the way up to 7th position or higher all on A-string and all with only 1st finger. Perform this drill daily, increase tempo and intonation accuracy.

In other words, practice sliding from note to note using 1 finger only. Start sliding using the first finger. Then practice sliding on the second finger only....then the third finger, and finally the fourth. As silly as this exercise my sound, it WORKS!
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I have fixed my printer so can print sheet music now...

I've been looking on those links you gave but I have trouble knowing what will be good ones for my tastes.

I can look and see if they look hard of course which gives me an idea and if they move above 1st position, though I'm tempted to venture past 1st now.

Any recommendations?
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ode,

Are you talking about these links?

http://www.8notes.com/violin_sheet_music.asp
http://www.free-scores.com/free-sheet-music.php
http://www.theviolinsite.com/violin_music.html

In regard to positions, you'll be jumping must further ahead, if you can grasp the concept of sliding with your fingers into the next note (i.e. glissando), rather than the conventional way of learning shifting. In fact, most of the time, I don't know which position I am playing in.

I having trouble with my video software. I hoping to have some material for you soon.
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes those links.

I thought glissando was thought 'inferior' to shifting without holding the hand on the strings since it makes a slight noise when you do that? that is what some fellow said in one of the videos anyway.

Well I only want to know the positions just to be able to teach myself.

I don't necessarily want to jump ahead before I'm ready but it is restrictive when I want to play a piece which is otherwise in 1st position except for a couple of notes which usually are high past 4th finger on the E string.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
Yes those links.

I thought glissando was thought 'inferior' to shifting without holding the hand on the strings since it makes a slight noise when you do that? that is what some fellow said in one of the videos anyway.

Well I only want to know the positions just to be able to teach myself.

I don't necessarily want to jump ahead before I'm ready but it is restrictive when I want to play a piece which is otherwise in 1st position except for a couple of notes which usually are high past 4th finger on the E string.

Glissando is a tool to help you learn shifting, not to be confused with shifting itself. Sorry, if I have misled you. With glissando, your fingers are essentially sliding on the string into position, which is actually more secure than if the fingers jumped off the string before moving into another position. Off course the sound will not be as pleasant. However you are training your fingers to land in the right place (intonation).

Since you want to play some higher notes in E string, take this simple example.

1. On the E string, play the notes open E, F# (1st finger), G# (2nd finger), A (3rd finger) and B (4th finger). You are playing in 1st position here.

Let's suppose you want to play the C note which is just beyond the reach of your 4th finger. Playing in second position or more will enable you to reach this note. So what does 2nd position mean? To simplify, it just means that all your fingers are repositioning up one note. Your 1st finger starts on G# here. So the challenge now is to reposition your hand into 2nd position.

2. Play the first 2 notes in 1. above (open E and F#). To play G#, you can slide (glissando) your 1st finger to it OR you can take your 1st finger off the string and estimate landing on G#. You will find that sliding to the note is more secure, accurate and easier. You are actually practicing the same reflexes for shifting.

(I'm called to lunch at the moment. I'll continue this post with your question on music shortly).
Ode to Tragedy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it as simple as each 'position' corresponds to just shifting your hand up one 'note's worth' for each corresponding position (I bet it isn't as simple as that since nothing seems to be that simple with violin Very Happy)?

On another note: I bought a new camera today so once I figure how to work it I should get some videos of me playing up so that should help matters Smile
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ode to Tragedy wrote:
So is it as simple as each 'position' corresponds to just shifting your hand up one 'note's worth' for each corresponding position (I bet it isn't as simple as that since nothing seems to be that simple with violin Very Happy)?

Yes, it is as simple as that.

Ode to Tragedy wrote:

On another note: I bought a new camera today so once I figure how to work it I should get some videos of me playing up so that should help matters Smile

That's great. Now we can really see what is going on.

In regards to music,

http://www.8notes.com/violin_sheet_music.asp

seems like a good website to start with as there are plenty to choose from. The right hand column indicates the level of the piece. How about trying the "easy" level ones first such as:

http://www.8notes.com/scores/2740.asp
http://www.8notes.com/scores/9645.asp
http://www.8notes.com/scores/2759.asp (This one in first position maybe challenging for you).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: